Epilogue 4

2 years later

It was the last day of school before winter vacation. Jay walked through the corridors, ignoring the stares. "That's him, you know?" one said

"Who?" her friend asked

"Jay Popei. With his looks, he could easily snatch hearts; many try to but he always reject them."

"Oh? The one who's married?"

"That's the reason, they said."

Jay chuckled as they whisper. His determination will not be deterred by false tales. He can't wait for Christmas. He clenches his fist, he'll finally meet Lilac. For now, he has to go through the day until they arrive at his uncle's place.

5 days after

Arriving at his uncle's place, Jay was the first one to go out of the car and open the door. He was holding the album Dale gave him two years ago.

He knocked on the door, a lot of thoughts running inside his head and his heart was racing. The door opened and his aunt was there. "Hello, Jay. Merry Christmas."

He hugged Mandy and greeted her, "Merry Christmas. Where's uncle?"

"He went out with Anaia."

"Oh? When did she arrive?"

"Just yesterday. Come inside, it's really cold."

His parents greeted her and followed them to the living room. Mandy served them some hot tea. As they were getting into the conversation, the door opened. It was Dale and his daughter, Anaia. She worked overseas so she was rarely home, even on the holidays. Jay stood up to greet them then hugged Anaia and uncle. Mandy asked, "Dale, why are you still wearing your coat?"

"I have to go out again. Jay's coming with me."

They all looked at Jay and Melli asked. "Really?"

Jay nodded. "I am."

"We should go while it's still early." said Dale

His nephew nodded and waved at his family before following his uncle outside and to his car. Dale started driving. "You're holding the album quite tight."

Jay let his grip on the album loose a little. "I'm just excited."

"Well, just expect you're going to clean the mausoleum with me."

"Mausoleum?" Jay whispered; he was confused but nodded nonetheless.

Arrival at the cemetery

They walked quite a bit of distance before stopping at a grand mausoleum. Dale pointed at the one next to where they were facing. "That is Tiana Vin's. She's L--"

"Lilac's mother."

He nodded. "She was a good person. Just like Lil."

"My parents had already cleaned hers. So we should go in." Dale continued

I looked at the mausoleum we were facing. "This is Li... Lilac's?"

My uncle took a sharp breath and nodded. "It is. I haven't visited in a while. So we have to clean a bit. And she doesn't like flowers, you know?"

"Huh?" I looked at him

"Even though she was named after a flower, she never liked them but still tended to them as if they were her kin. Yet, when she found out she had..."

"Melanoma."

"Yeah. That. I just noticed it. She always had flowers in her room but then she suddenly stopped having them and symptoms started to show. Anyways, let's go in."

They went in. It wasn't that dirty, it had been maintained by the cemetery staff but the two still cleaned a bit. They sat in front of the coffin and Dale started telling Jay what happened.

After that, there was silence. Both of them had tears in their eyes. Dale stood up. "I'll wait for you in the car."

Then he left.

Jay's POV

Uncle had just went and I opened the album. I had put the letters inside. "Lilac..."

I now understand everything and it hurts so much. My tears didn't stop falling. "Lilac, I'm sorry for my father. He's quite hopeless, huh?"

"I'll have him read these, I promise. Then after, I'll burn them. You don't have to think about him anymore. He did keep his promise and I'll keep mine."

I wiped my tears away. "I... I wish I could've met you but, you're gone. I wonder if things would be different if you were still here. Probably, but, it's too late to think about them."

I smile at her coffin. "I'll keep my promise. Please be happy, Lilac. I only want that."

I stand up and closed the album. "I should go. I'll visit every now and then. I'll bring my dad next time. See you then."

I walked out of her mausoleum and walked to where uncle was then went back home.

It took some time but next thing I knew, we were driving back to the cemetery with dad. When we went back, I burned the letters.

I hope we all can be happy now and face the sunshine of tomorrow.

***

(╯°_°)╯︵ ┻━┻