Chapter 25 - Through Thick and Thin

"Get off the ledge and drop the knife; not a victim of a victim's life because this ain't a room full of suicides. We're believers, I believe tonight." ~ Save Yourself, I'll Hold Them Back

************

"Frank!" I shouted in panic, falling to the ground beside him. He was on his back, eyes closed but flitting quickly under his eyelids, expression pained. I didn't know what would happen if we tried to awaken his memories, but I hadn't expected this. "Frank, can you hear me?" I shook his shoulders desperately, hoping to god that something horrible wasn't happening to him. Perhaps Korse had set some sort of safeguard, a trap designed to set off if the guys ever remembered who they really were. Had I truly been so selfishly concerned with my own desires and need to have them in my life that I hadn't considered that? I felt a tear slide down my cheek, fear coursing through my veins. "Frank, please..." His breathing was fast and shallow, and his body was twitching almost uncontrollably. I put my shaking hands on his cheeks, realizing that my decision might've just been the thing that truly sealed our fate. "Don't leave me," I begged. I'd been so close, but I'd been naive to believe that Korse would let me get this close to getting the guys back.

It'd been less than a minute since he collapsed, but it felt like an eternity before he finally stopped twitching. His breathing evened out, and it felt like a rock had lodged itself in my throat, waiting to see what would happen. I was helpless to do anything but watch.

"Frank?" I asked quietly, hoping he could hear me as I leaned over him still, hands still on his face. I was hovering over him, breathing even heavier than he was. "Open your eyes, please be okay."

It was only a second later that his eyes fluttered open, hazel green irises centering on my face above his. I released a breath I didn't realize I was holding, gasping for air as I relinquished my hands from his face. I was shaking uncontrollably, and I couldn't hold up my weight much longer. I wasn't sure what Frank even remembered, but in that moment, I was just relieved that he wasn't dead, and in the moment I just rested my head against his chest, clutching his shirt as I tried to control my body.

I wasn't expecting to feel strong arms wrapping around me, holding me to him. I gasped slightly at the unexpected motion, but immediately relaxed into his embrace.

"I'm so sorry, Sky," he murmured. "I- I remember everything. I'm so sorry I left you."

I pulled away quickly, sitting up and pulling him with me, only to grab him in a real hug, wrapping my arms around his shoulders. The lights flickered ever so slightly in my dimly lit living space, the rotting building a telltale of how poor my life had been in recent years, but none of that mattered now. It felt like a piece of my heart was suddenly placed back in my chest, a hole filled that I'd numbed myself to even realizing was there. I just wanted to hold on to him, making sure I never lost him again.

"It doesn't matter," I said eventually, still hugging him. "It wasn't your fault, and it makes no difference now because you remember. I'm just happy to have you back."

This time we both pulled away, still sitting on the floor, facing each other. Normally, Frank was hard for me to read, but this time was different. He looked worried, sad, but also really happy. He smiled sadly at me.

"Don't take this the wrong way, but you look like Hell," Frank chuckled, cupping my cheek with his hand. I shrugged, and he suddenly frowned. "Have you been eating?"

I lowered my head. "Not really..."

"Sky..." he began to scold, but I cut him off.

"It's not that way, though, Frank. I'm out of money, so I haven't had much access to food."