Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen.

When I finish getting ready for tonight, I stand in front of the full length mirror hanging on my closet door. The dark grey pencil-skirt stops about mid-thigh, not showing too much. The sapphire blue blouse is low cut, showing a little bit of my cleavage, or rather, lack of cleavage. My dark brown hair falls in long waves around my shoulders. Finally, my black heels add about two inches to my height. They're really cute shoes, but the more that I look at them; the more I want to throw on my black Converse. If Kristen Stewart can wear them on the red carpet, I should be able to wear them to meet my boyfriend's parents, right?

The whole idea of wearing more girly clothes is actually growing on me, but me and high-heels will never be friends. Friends don't cause each other pain. Well, come to think of it; yes they do. I immediately think of Van, who is out getting stuff for the party he's throwing tonight.

Van and I haven't ever had the chance to throw a party, seeing as our parents were really good friends. His parents would always be home if mine were ever out of town, and vice versa. It's like we were always under constant supervision. Now neither of our parents is around. I'm kind of sad that the first chance we have to throw a party; I won't even be able to go to. Not like I'm really up for the idea of getting drunk. After what happened in Aspen, I think I've had enough alcohol for a couple of years.

Before walking out of my bedroom, I sweep some mascara through my eyelashes, bringing out the blue in my eyes.

I grab my POS phone off my dresser and put it in a sparkly black clutch purse, along with my wallet and a small tube of lip-gloss that Lia so graciously gave me for Christmas.

I make my way downstairs and follow a voice into the kitchen where I see Van on the phone. He's probably spreading the word about the party. I'm kind of glad that I won't be here for tonight's craziness.

"...tell Mitch to bring a keg too," I catch Van saying. "I'll see if Abby can..."

"If Abby can what?" I ask curiously.

Van acknowledges me and it takes a couple of seconds for him to find his words. "Uhm, Michael isn't coming so I was wondering if you could pick up the keg from his house when you get off girlfriend-duty?"

I shake my head. "Evan wants me to stay at his place, so I don't know if I'm coming home tonight," I say quietly, staring down at my shoes.

"Dex, I'll call you back," Van says into his cell phone quickly hanging up and sliding it into the back pocket of his jeans. He steps in front of me, stretches out his arms so that his hands resting against the counter, leaving a small space between us. "What's wrong, Nips?" Van jokes, causing a smile to break across my face.

"I told you to stop calling me that," I remind him.

"I'll stop calling you Nips when you stop liking it," he smirks.

I reach out and pick off an invisible piece of lint, just to have an excuse to touch him.

"So you're staying at Evan's?" Van checks, keeping his tone of voice at a calm level.

"I guess," I answer. "I mean, unless you need me back here, like for the party, or anything?" I ask, kind of hoping that he says he does. "Or maybe if you need me here to keep an eye on you, Boozy," I tease.

Van chuckles. "I'll be fine. Besides, I'm not planning on drinking a whole lot tonight," he admits.

I nod along. "That's probably a good idea. At least if you do that, you'll be able to keep it under control a little." I glance up at Van to see him looking at me like he's trying to figure out how to solve an intense math problem. Feeling a little self-conscious, I start to twiddle my thumbs in my lap.