Chapter Four -- Daddy and His Apple

"Stop running before you fall," I told my son as we exited my car.

I exhaled as Erik disobeyed me and kept running full speed ahead. I looked up at house to see my Dad standing in the window on the second floor, looking down at me. What a coincidence.

I exhaled again before walking up to the oak wood door that stood open for me. I stepped in. "

"Grandpa!" Erik yelled as he wrapped his arms around Daddy's legs. They both stood in the middle of the stairs.

Daddy ruffled his hand in Erik's soft hair. "Wassup, man. What I told you about calling me Grandpa? That's what you call a old man."

Erik giggled. "My bad, GK."

I laughed out loud. GK? Really?

"I know that don't stand for Gangsta' Kai," I said.

Daddy looked up at me, giving me a quick smile before returning his usual mean stare. For that split second, I was his baby girl again. I felt my heart smile.

"Can we go to the dealership today, GK?" Erik asked with pleading eyes.

I can tell he's going to be a car man when he's older. Daddy owned two car dealerships in New York and three in the south, all by the name of Mitchel Engines. I admit, it was a smart move. I'm just happy he washed his hands of the streets completely. If only I could get Ethic to do the same thing.

"Yeah, we'll stop by, I'll even let you sit in some in the show case."

Erik took off running, screaming like Daddy told him he won a million dollars. I chuckled and shook my head.

"Thanks for watching him," I told Daddy as he passed by me, going into the kitchen.

He didn't respond, as always.

I sighed. It's been seven years and he's still on the same bullshit. He should be the one on the guilt trip. He almost killed ME! I put my Chanel purse on the large, round, marble and wood table in the middle of the foyer and followed Daddy.

I saw him reaching in one of the fruit baskets for his daily treat; an apple. He took a bite before turning around. I stood before him with my heart pounding in my chest. Say something, Kaila. He raised one of his eyebrows, taking another bite.

"Move," he told me sternly. I didn't bulge.

He inhaled then exhaled slowly before stepping to the side. I stepped in front of him, stopping him from walking.

He closed his eyes. "Kaila, if you don't--"

"Ethic proposed." I threw my left hand up, showing off the 10 carat Tiffany & Co. engagement ring.

He opened his eyes, looking me in the face. "Congratulations. Now move."

His voice was heavy and filled with anger. He didn't care. My vision began to blur from the heavy water that was threatening to fall from my eyes.

"Daddy, please. It's been seven--"

"I'ma tell you one more time--"

I stormed off, not letting him finish his warning. I wanted to scream in frustration, kick and fall out on the floor, have a fucking temper tantrum. But, I'm not a little girl. I don't get my way with him by doing that anymore.

I felt my phone vibrate two times in my pocket, indicating that I have a text message. I pulled out my phone before opening the notification. It was from Celeste.

Can u meet me n Red @ The Raven? B there in 20 min.

I texted back:

I'm on the way.

I grabbed my purse, leaving Erik on the couch watching a bootleg version of the cartoon Brave.