Chapter Five -- The Black Bird

"To be honest, Kaila. I thought Ethic was finna do the Sweet Sixteen shit and surprise you with a Benz or Lam', not a fucking engagement ring. I'm happy for you, girl, but I bet his boys are clowning him right now."

I rolled my eyes at Red's comment and continued to sip my virgin martini. I love Red to death, but sometimes the bitch can really strike a nerve.

Celeste caught my attitude and quickly tried changing the subject.

"Are you originally from New York, Kaila?"

I shook my head. "Nope. Mississippi born and raised."

"Same place Ethic's from," she added with a nod of her head like she was telling me something I didn't know.

"How you know? Come to think of it, you know a lot about me, but I don't know anything about you. Something's wrong with that equation, isn't it?" I quizzed her in a phony kindness.

I saw Red smiling in the corner of my eye as she waved the waitress to our table.

Celeste flipped her hair over her shoulder and sighed like I was boring her. "Well, what would you like to know Ms. Mitchel or should I say Mrs. Davis?" To my surprise, she returned my tone.

As Red flirted with the waitress, I felt my temperature boil. Today is not my day.

"Bitch--"

"Bitch? I don't think you should be calling the one person 'bitch' that has enough information that could put your father up under the jail"-- she reached over and tapped my hand-- "No name calling, baby girl. Oops, I mean, Kaila."

I splashed all of my martini in her face before throwing the glass, spotting her dead in the forehead. Blood instantly started to run down her face as she fell in her chair backwards on to the floor.

Screams and a few gasps filled the room as I stood up and threw a twenty on the table for my martini. I looked over at Red, who had a big grin on her face, and down at Celeste who was unconscious.

I slid my D&G shades over my eyes. "It was nice having dinner with you ladies."

I walked outside to my car, leaving The Raven at a stand still.