Chapter Eight -- A Way Out

I shook my head from side to side quickly. Leaving my son was not an option. I promised myself I'll never leave him, fearing that he'll grow up like I did; without a mother.

"I... I can't -- I won't leave my son."

I watched Daddy's face frown up in frustration. "Listen, you're a fucking criminal. Your name, your face, your record is probably all over the fucking United States right now. I won't let you get my only grandson mixed up in the system. Are we clear?"

"There's no telling when I'm coming back. IF I ever come back. What am I supposed to do without my baby for years? I need my son with me. He's all I got."

I felt the tears that I'm so familiar with rush down my face. Daddy calmed down, inhaling and exhaling slowly.

"Nobody said it'll be easy, but you put yourself in this situation. You'll be back home and that's a promise I intend to keep."

****

Five days later, I have a passport, a new identity, and a new hair cut. My name's Alexus Chantel Carter. I'm twenty-six years old. My birthday is in the hot month of July, born on the 15th. I have no children. I have a new Social Security card and number, I.D, birth certificate, passport, the whole nine.

My new hair cut, thanks to Octavia, was short and a bit curly. It's now died bleach blond.

I got on my knees on the side of Erik's bed. I watched as his chest risen and fallen over and over again. I can't believe I'm leaving my baby. I couldn't stop the tears that flowed from my eyes as I kissed his soft cheeks.

"Mommy loves you, Erik. I will always love you."

I kissed him again before running my hands through his soft hair one last time. I sadly sighed and stood up. I began to walk out of his room, but not before looking back one last time.

"You ready?" Daddy asked me once I reached downstairs. My suit cases was at the door waiting on me.

"More ready than I'll ever be."

He came over and wrapped his arms around me. I missed his bear hugs. It felt okay to let my emotions out on his chest.

"Don't cry. We all fuck up in life. We just gotta find a way to not let it ruin us."

He reached down to pick up a duffel bag that was at his feet. He handed it to me with ease. I took it and as soon as I did I put it back on the floor. It was way too heavy for me.

I unzipped the bag quickly, eager to see what was inside. Stack after stack of hundred dollar bills was neatly put in the bag. I picked up a stack and flipped through the bills to be sure. Each stack held a thousand.

I looked up at him. "Daddy, what's this?"

"It's all yours. Be careful."

I stood up, me hugging him this time. "Thank you. Thank you so much for everything. I love you, Daddy."

He kissed my forehead, taking me by surprise. "I love you too, baby girl."

________________________________________________________________________

A/N :

ShoutOut to:

@She_Dope

I used your name, girl!

Alexus Chantel.

I hope you don't mind that I added Carter at the end tho lol.