Chapter Seventeen -- Ordinary People

Ron smiled and pulled out a take out box from behind his back. I smelled the delicious aroma of jerk chicken from the foam plate. I heard my stomach let out a loud growl as he handed the food to me.

Ron laughed. "Somebody's hungry, I see. I know you liked--"

His sentence seemed to die slowly as his eyes roamed from mine to something behind me. The smile he had was gone in an instant and the Ron I remember from when I first got here was on display. I felt Ethic standing close behind me, so close, I felt the breathing of his chest move up and down against my back.

I looked at Ron, then to Ethic. "Umm..." I mumbled, trying to think of something to say. This was so awkward. Wait, why the hell is he all up on me anyway?

"I didn't know you still had company, Miss. Alexus Chantel," Ron said to me. His eyes never left Ethic's.

"You the only one that's company, bruh. And who the hell is Alexus Chantel?"

I wanted to scream. Who told him to talk? Was anybody talkin' to his ass? Why is he even here? Ugh!

Ron finally looked at me, giving me a look that said, 'Get'cha boy'.

I gave him a quick nod before turning around to face Ethic. His eyes was still burning a hole in Ron's face.

"Ethic, why don't you go chill back in the room while me and Ron talk for a minute. Okay?" I said to him as if I was talking to a child.

After what seemed like minutes of passing time, Ethic said, "Yeah. Aight."

I watched as he disappeared behind the wall that was next to my bed.

I turned back around and stepped outside of the room. I closed the door, stopping it right before it clicked locked.

"Sorry about that," I told Ron embarrassingly.

He nodded and stuck his hands deep in his pockets. "It's alright. I just came by to check on you, you know, from yesterday. I see he's back in your good graces."

I looked back at my room door and shrugged. "I'm scarred. You know?"

Ron looked confused. "Of what?"

I let out a deep sigh. "Of getting my heart broke again."

"You don't think he's afraid of the same thing?" My head shot up at him. Who's side was he on?

He sighed. "All I'm saying is, you both aren't perfect. Going by what you told me, you hurt him too. Am I right?"

I looked away and exhaled. "Yes."

Ron put his hand on my shoulder. "Forgive him. I'm not sayin' you have to take him back, but forgive. Don't walk around with that heavy heart of yours all of your life."

I thought about Ron's words. He always gave good, wise advice. I trust him and I could honestly say he was my best friend. A real one.

I felt a smile break out onto my face. "Thank you, Ron."

He gave me that confused look again. "For what?"

"For being here for me, listening to me, keeping it real with me. The list goes on and on," I told him emotionally. I've never had a somebody like him EVER in my life. I see why him and my father are so close.

He smiled and pulled me into a hug. "Aww, come 'mere. You're always welcome. When ever you need me, I'm here, understand?"

I nodded as we broke out of our embrace. "I think I know that now."

He smiled and began walking down the hallway. "I'll see you around, Miss. Alexus Chantel."

I gave him a quick wave and held up the to-go plate. "Thanks for the chicken!"