one | background

O N E | B A C K G R O U N D

★ ★ ★

"I never thought you would do that..." He told Luke.

"I'm sorry! Alright?" He apologised.

"You know, sorry is not enough sometimes" He basically informed the blond haired boy.

"Please. It was not one of my intentions!" Luke begged, but it was hopeless.

"Then what was your intention Luke! she freaking ki--" He couldn't even finish his sentence since it was all the same ol' nightmare that keeps chasing Luke.

***

-chapter starts here-

Luke awoke to the sound of his little brother, Blaise,jumping over him; his childish attempt to wake him. Blaise jumped, and continued to jump, until he heard Luke's loud roar. Luke wasn't angry, he was just messing up with his younger brother.

But he's always been in a bad mood, every single morning after the accident. The same nightmare kept blobbing inside Luke's head, never wanting to leave.

He ignored that feeling and turned to face his little brother who was laughing devilishly.

"Consider yourself a dead man, young boy," Luke growled, an attempt at a threat. But Blaise was not convinced. Though Luke was older, Blaise was definitely smarter, and therefore not fooled by Luke's empty threats.

"I'm not scared of you" Blaise spat back, drops of saliva hitting Luke's face. Disgusted, Luke scrunched his face as he glared with disgust at his younger brother. Unfazed by the situation he was putting himself in, Blaise laughed heartily in response to Luke's expression. Blaise was really beginning to piss Luke off. Despite Blaise's continuous laughter, somehow Luke remained calm.

'No, I don't want to go there again, not yet. I have to remain calm' Luke repeated to himself. His mantra, the only way to help him cool of and stay calm when anger arose. He could not let what had happened last time occur again.

Luke closed his eyes, no longer hearing his younger brother's laughter. He inhaled a long, deep breath, and let it out. In. And Out. In. and Out.

For the next five minutes Luke continued to do this, burying his face within his large hands. Lazily lifting himself from the comfy confines of his bed, he dragged himself downstairs, wearing nothing but his sweatpants. As he made his way down the stairs, his feet caught on the air tripping him, but he quickly steadied himself, and continued to the kitchen door.

Before he had entered the kitchen, Luke knew what to expect. Like a cycle, each morning was the same. He sighed as he stepped into the kitchen.

"Morning, Mom. Morning, Dad," he said, pulling up a chair across the table from his Father. Luke beamed at him, as he continued to read the mornings paper.

His parents did not speak. He knew why He knew what had happened, what had caused their silence. But still,he had hoped. Luke knew that he could not undo the wrong and make it right, no matter the years he had to try.

"Mom...?"

"Dad...?" he tried again.

"Please. I didn't mean to do it! You know it wasn't on purpose," Luke pleaded, his voice low.

Liz hadn't look at her son the way she used to before the incident, not since three months ago. Nor did Andrew. Andrew, however, was more adapted to the situation than Liz, as you could clearly see by watching them.

His parents shook their heads in unison, without even glancing at the 'disappointment' they had raised. Luke did not know what else he could do. He desperately needed their affection. He was lost and lonely, depressed. He had given up on himself. He hated who he was.

Standing from his chair he took a cup from the cupboard and poured himself a black coffee. He continued to think of all that he had done, all that had gone wrong. Everything he could no longer do anything about.

He had always told himself that the Oxford Dictionary defined disappointment as;

'Sadness or displeasure caused by the non-fulfilment of one's hopes or exceptions'

But he wanted to correct their definition to something a little more accurate. The right, and truthful, definition of disappointment was himself. Luke Robert Hemmings.
He had told his parents of this several times, but they refused to listen. They no longer seemed to care about what he did, or thought.

Luke was lost and broken. His parents would never understand why he had done it, why he needed to do it. They never wanted to discuss it or confess anything to do with it or how big a part of their lives it had become.

But the thing is that they failed to understand was how big part it had become of Luke's life.

Finishing the last of his coffee, he placed the cup in the sink, and made his way out of the kitchen. Just before he could leave, a soft hand wrapped around his left wrist.

Fortunately there were no scars to be felt. He lifted his head and met his mother's eyes for the first time in three months. His face lit up and a big smile formed on his lips.

"Listen, Lucas... I'm sorry about all of the things I'vedone. You're Father and I, we want to take you and little Blaise somewhere far away from here." Liz spoke, her tone soft. Oh god, how Luke had missed the sound of her beautiful voice. He wrapped his arms around her waist whispering a million thank-yous.

Rushing back upstairs, Luke called out for his little brother, who remained silent. He looked everywhere. His room and Blaise's room. His mother's room. The guest bedroom...even the bathrooms were empty.

Luke wondered about his younger brother's whereabouts. After minutes of thinking, he realised how stupid he was. He hadn't looked everywhere. Getting out of the house, Luke made his way to the backyard, and climbed up the ladder to the tree house.

Sitting in the middle he found Blaise reading through some of his Marvel Comics. Luke chuckled at how adorable his brother looked, despite how devilish and cunning he could be.

"Hey, big boy?" Luke called out.

"What do you want?" Blaise threw his comic and turned to look at Luke.

"Mom has a surprise! She's taking us on a little road-trip!" Luke said excitedly, jumping up and down. He was beyond happy. His mother seemed to have finally forgiven him for his errors, and wanted to spend time with him. She even had a surprise planned for them!

"Oh my ironman! Really? Where are we going, Lukey?" Blaise hugged his older brother, asking too many questions for Luke to keep up.

"She didn't tell me, but let's go get ready, okay?" Luke said, and they both went inside.

Blaise rushed upstairs, as Luke stood in the main doorframe. He could not believe what was happening. His mother had apologised to him, she hugged him back, and then she wanted to go on some kind of family trip? This was an improvement on Luke's current state.

He felt as though he should call Mr. Narren and inform him of the great news. He was far too happy about what had already happened in the day, and was too excited not to tell anyone.