13.

IM GONNA TELL YOU . THIS CHAPTER IS GONNA KILL ALL OF YOU !!!

SCARLETT

To say that I have no desire at all to go at this dinner is definitely a euphemism. My mother has been stressing me about my hair, makeup, and outfit for the whole day. I've been practically forced to let her do my makeup and when she started panting my eyelids with a very dark eyeshadow — which is not really me — I couldn't really protest that much. And I didn't protest either when she insisted to curl my hair. When I looked at myself in the mirror, once she was done, I really couldn't believe my eyes. The way she made me look would probably be a big boost of ego for probably any girl in the world. Maybe, after all, she can really do magic tricks.

I had worn the Versace dress she had bought for me, the one with long sleeves and my Zanotti sandals. While I look at my reflection in the mirror I'm still unsure about the portion of legs left exposed, but thankfully I don't have any scar there and all my bruises have already disappeared.

"Are you ready honey?" My father asks me, knocking on my already open door to capture my attention. I take a deep breath before nodding my head and taking my coat and bag from the bed.

"You're absolutely gorgeous!" He smiles at me and I immediately feel slightly more confident with his compliment. I would feel definitely better if we weren't about to have dinner with complete strangers.

"Do you know who are we meeting?" I ask while we wait for Celine to get ready.

"I know as much as you. I got back from work 30 minutes ago." He shrugs his shoulders and smiles. "I'm sure it'll be fine." He grabs my hand and holds it to give me some kind of comfort and reassurance that he'll be right by my side for the whole night.

"You work too much..." I sigh, resting my head on his shoulder.

"I have to." He tells me and I immediately know what he means. I feel my heart missing a beat, remembering that whoever they're looking for is still out there.

"Do you have any new leads?" I decided to ask since Celine isn't here yet.

"Nothing you need to think about tonight, honey." He forces himself to smile at me but I'm not completely sure he's that optimistic about whatever they have so far. Or maybe they only have concerning news he doesn't want to tell me about.

"Ready to go?" Celine yells quite enthusiastic from the top of the stairs, while she walks down to reach us. I find myself sighing at the thought that now we really have to go and have this damn dinner.

"Are you normally this excited about every business dinner?!" I ask her amused while we start getting into the car that she's called for us. I get in first and then I'm followed by Celine and my father.

"Only the special ones." She whispers in my ear, with a wide smirk that I don't question further. I immediately get distracted by the car following us, with the agents in charge of protecting me.

"Why do they have to follow me even when you're here?" I ask my dad. He immediately knows I'm talking about the car behind us.

"It's for your safety, Scarlett."

"I just feel suffocated..." I sigh, deciding immediately to look away. I really don't want to think about it tonight. Maybe I should just focus on the dinner and enjoy it. It can't be that hard.