1

"Get back here boy!" he yells as I rush up the stairs and slam my door shut, locking it just in time for him to grab the handle and start banging on the door.

I curl into a ball crying eventually falling asleep on the floor. The morning I packed my things away in the suit case I brought with me.  When I went back down stairs my social worker was already talking to Mr. Heo. When she sees me her frown deepens. We eventually leave and I sit in the passenger seat quietly. The almost the whole ride was quiet until she spoke up with disappointment in her voice.

"Again Hero? This is the fifth one in three months." she sighs heavily.

I continue to look out the window keeping quiet. I know this has been the fifth one, but it's not my fault every family doesn't stick. I try to make it work, but everything always goes wrong a few weeks into it going well. I get into a fight at school, or the family turns out to be abusive, or even their other kids don't like me. This time I got into a fight, again. I ended up getting into a fight with Ms. Heo about it and said some pretty mean things. I guess the fighting at school was just too much for them to handle. I was just protecting myself, I told them, but they never got it. It was always my fault, I had to be the one to apologize even if I wasn't sorry. I was the one always to blame, and only because every time it was some jock who messed with me.

"Do you know how hard it is to find you another home after you get kicked out of one? Especially at your age and how many other homes you've been kicked out of." she tells me sadness in her voice.

"Why did I get stuck with such a troublesome case." she mumbled to herself but I still heard it.

"You think I want to be troublesome Jae?! I am not the one who starts it! I want all the families to stick! I hate having no one! They are the ones who know they are taking in a troubled kid and then expect more! It's not me, its them!" I yell at her, tears rushing down my face.

We pull into the parking lot and before we park I jump out and run down the street. I leave my bag in the car and abandon everything for this moment. I have been homeless my whole life. There wasn't much known on my parents who gave me up when I was born, but I know that they sure didn't want me or else they would have tried to keep me. When I was younger I used to think any day now, any day, they would appear out of no where and take me home. What a hopeless fantasy. I'm now 17 and in a few months I will be set free but I have nothing I can do. The state pays for my phone I have right now but that is it. Once i'm of age I have to go, it's a law. The orphanage can't do anything about it either.

I've been in and out of homes my whole life, it's rough, but now i'm used to it every time I get thrown back. I basically grew up in the orphanage. The longest home I've had was a year, but like with all the other homes, something happened and I was sent back. In that case the family magically was able to have a baby and so they didn't need me anymore. I was eight at the time, I decided that no matter what happened I would keep myself guarded from then on. So I have been protecting myself for nine years already and for some reason adults don't get it. They read my file and take me into their home, then expect more than I can do.

I find myself on a random street in town. I keep my head down, my tears stop coming and I make no move to wipe my tear streaked face. My phone keeps bussing and I eventually turn it off. It's only around 4 in the evening so its not real late, but people are getting out of work and so the side walks start to get crowded. I weave my way through people. Getting pushed around as I walk, my destination, nowhere. I finally bump into someone, I don't look up but say 'sorry' a few times before walking away. A strong grip lands on my shoulder, I turn around.

My blue eyes connect with brown ones, a small smile swings on his lips, and his brown hair sways a little in the slight wind. He's tanner than me, but shorter.