Duties

Waking up in an unfamiliar bed is a feeling I will have to get used too. Without opening my eyes I brought both arms up behind my head and stretched. A small moan escaped my lips as my back arched and legs kicked out. The feeling of a good stretch in the morning was the best. Rolling onto my front and sprawling my body all over the bed I realised the bed was somehow lighter. Pushing myself up I saw the made up side of the bed Loki slept in. I grunted as my tired arms collapsed beneath me and I nuzzled my body into the deep soft bed. I rolled myself up into a cocoon with the sheets, sinking into their silky goodness. I heard the door squeak open and quiet shuffling echo across the room. My eyes tiredly ripped open to see a quite scared little girl hovering beside the bed.

“What do you want?” I asked sleepily, my eyes heavy and wanting to close. I watched the girl play with her hands nervously and glow red with embarrassment.

“The queen requests you meet her in her chambers to discuss your duties with her.” She said quietly and shyly.

“Duties? What duties?” I could feel myself growing more and more into sleep.

“I was just told to fetch you.” She stuttered a lot, I could tell for some reason she was scared of me. I threw my head back against the pillows and growled. I just wanted to sleep. I could hear the same footsteps shuffle back across the room. I clicked my fingers getting her attention.

“Erm, er….” I began trying to remember if she told me her name. “Barbra?” I guessed.

“Christina ma’m.” she replied.

“Christina, tell her majesty I will be along shortly.” At this the door opened and closed and she was gone. I began to reluctantly drag myself out of the comfortable bed. I somehow managed to get up onto my feet and get changed. I looked at myself in the mirror, I looked absolutely terrible. I had no idea what the time was as I left the room, but nobody was around, and hardly any guards were on duty. I started to make my way to Frigga’s chambers.

“Liara thou looks terrible.” Thor shouted down the hall as he turned the corner to see me. I rolled my eyes as I stumbled towards him.

“Nice to see you too Thor.” My sarcasm burning through.

“I think thou hadst a little too much to drink last night.” A grin plastered on his tanned face.

“Oi, I am not some human who cannot hold their liquor.” I was offended. Thor’s deep laugh boomed and bounced off the walls that surrounded us.

“Well I think there must be another reason you are so tired.” He winked at me. This was the first time he had exhibited a human trait with me, I did not like it. 

“I do not understand.” I replied.

“Well it was your wedding night.” He nudged my arm.

“Again, I do not get your meaning sir.” I smiled; of course I knew what he was on about.

“Do I really have to explain the birds and the bees to you Liara?” His voice growing more irritated.

“Considering bees are earth creatures and we do not have them on Azgard, yes?” I was enjoying this. 

“You know the thing ordinary couples do on their wedding nights?” his eyes were wide and big.

“Yeah but Thor, I am not an ordinary person.” I whispered as I leaned in. He leaned back and stared at me deeply.

“And what did Loki have to say about this?” He asked inquisitively. 

“Nothing, he just accepted it.” Knowing Loki I would have found this strange too.

“Loki said nothing?” For a moment he was silent but then his laughter continued, but this time louder.

“What?” I asked annoyed.

“If I know Loki, he has something up his sleeve, watch out Liara.” He patted me on my shoulder, forcing me back a few steps. He carried on walking behind me until his laughs faded. I stood there for a brief moment reflecting on what he had said before coming to the conclusion there was nothing to it. I carried on walking until I reached Frigga’s room. There were two guards on her doors who let me in immediately. As the doors opened the room shone back at me. The whole room was decorated with gold; even the steps and bed were gold. Frigga was standing in the middle with her arms held open wide.

“Darling, come, come!” She beckoned me and the doors closed behind me. I smiled as wide as I could as she embraced me and kissed the air surrounding both of my cheeks. “I trust everything is to your liking?” She asked.

“Yes. You have been most kind.” I replied with a smile. She sat down in a huge golden chair and indicated she wanted me to sit in the chair next to her. I sat down and placed my hands on my knees waiting for whatever she would say.

“So, you might have known that being a princess of Azgard might entail some duties. Well there are not many but they must be upheld.” I hated when Frigga was serious and I was too petrified to disagree. I nodded in agreement. “Now the first one is you must be with Loki for all big social events or public ones. It is very important to uphold image.” I did see that one coming, but I was dreading everything else. A guard came over with two clear glasses filled with the crystal waters of Isldor. I took one and drank some. “Oh and you must start a family as soon as possible.” She said like it was the most obvious thing in the world. I nearly spat out the water from my mouth. I gulped before I spoke.

“That’s a duty?” I gasped.

“Yes it is important to uphold the family line.” I was hoping she was joking.

“But you have Thor to carry on the line. After all he will be king so the line shall run through him.”

“Yes but it is good to cover all the bases.” She replied taking another sip of her water. She stared at me for a while before speaking again but more gently.

“Darling, I know how you feel. I was forced to marry the king and in the beginning I did not want to go anywhere near him. I was scared and worried but soon that all changed and look what we have today, two beautiful sons.” The gentle smile on her face was difficult not to smile back at.

“Any more duties?” I asked.

“No that is it for now. Just be there for him, support him when he needs it but most importantly remember to live your own life and be independent sometimes.” I thanked Frigga for the talk and water and left her in her chambers. It was hard enough knowing that everyone was expecting high things of me but now it was my duty? I could not take it, I needed to get out, get a breather. As Frigga said I need some me time. I walked out of the royal residence and towards the stables. Climbing on a random horse I took off. I rode down the rainbow streets, watching children stared in wonder as I flew past. The giant chrome gates opened before me and I was in my happy place. The forest that was laid out on our back garden, it has always been a safe haven for me in my times of need. After taking in its beauty I gently squeezed my feet together and the horse rode onward into the delightful green wooded area. I just need to clear my head before going back. Going back and having my life unwillingly be lived for me.