What have you done?

As soon as the door closed behind me I could no longer hold back the tears. He was no longer the man I knew and loved, that man was gone now. My fingers wrapped tightly around the necklace he had once given me. I had to believe he was still in there, somewhere. I ran my fingers threw my messy hair and sighed. I was so exhausted from the encounter. I made my down the corridor. I had no idea where I was going, I needed a few minutes to myself. I passed Natasha as I went, she looked determined at usual.

"Where did you go?" she interrogated me. I looked at her dazed, I had forgotten that she saw me leave the lab.

"Oh, just...around," I answered. My head was still packed full of questions and images.

"Where are Banner's glasses and coat?" she questioned me intensely.

"Alright look, I was intrigued by the prisoner so I checked it out," I bit back. I was in no mood to play games. She stared at me with disgust and continued. I decided to make my way to the bridge to find Coulson. He could keep me occupied. I peered in and saw Thor walking towards the door I was standing in. I hid my face as he passes and slid into the room. This was just getting stupid.

"What is it?" I asked Coulson as he looked confused.

"Bilgesnipe," he muttered to himself.

"Disgusting creatures," I said without thinking. Coulson gazed at me. "...I would think," I added. Coulson let this pass and returned to his constant pacing of the room, making himself look important. For some reason a wave of curiosity struck me.

"So what do we know about Loki? His life, family?" I asked curious whether Thor had mentioned me or Deus to them.

"About his life, not much. His family, I know that Thor's family adopted him. That's about it," he remarked.

"So no wife?" I pushed. Coulson looked stretched to remember anything.

"Come to think of it Thor did mention a wife....and a son....Liara and Deus that is it. A sad story. Thor feels for them I know that much," he replied sadly. My heart leapt. What had Thor said about me?

"How is it sad?" I asked looking deep into him.

"He used and controlled her apparently."  

"Control!" I accidently shouted. "Sorry," I apologized. Coulson looked suspiciously at me. Before he could respond the whole Helicarrier jolted and a huge explosion could be heard. I was thrown onto the floor along with Coulson. I grunted and reached for my aching head. The engines were not as loud as they were before and people were running around.

"Claire, are you ok?" Coulson asked concerned. I nodded as he pulled me up onto my feet.

"What was that?" I asked as I could see smoke entering the room. I looked to Hill, who had blood trickling down her face.

"Engine one is down!" she shouted out. We only had four engines, one more and this floating boat would fall straight back down.

"Coulson, Vasko, get to the detention level." Fury commanded us. This was not an accident, it was an attack. We made our way, calmly down the corridor. Suddenly a roar could be heard, screeching from below. I had read the files, seen the footage. There is only one thing that could make that noise.

"Keep moving." Coulson ordered and I obeyed. We made our way into the armoury to arm ourselves. I grabbed the nearest pistol whereas Coulson was looking for something more specific.

"Where did you get that?" I asked sincerely. In his hands he held a piece of equipment that humans should not have.    

"We made it from the remains of the destroyer Loki sent to Earth last year." He said proudly looking at the huge gun in his hands. The destroyer was dangerous and extremely powerful, mortals should not have its weapons. I let it pass and we reentered the corridor. Gun shots and explosions could be heard from the main hanger. The helicarrier slowly began to tilt. We were falling. I was forced to hold onto the rails to keep myself upright. We continued until we reached the outside of Loki's cell. As Coulson went in a gun shot from the attackers forced me back. I closed the door behind Coulson and loaded my own gun. Another shot was fired and it barley missed me. I fired back, hitting him in the leg. This caused him to lose his footing and he slid down the corridor. I checked the corridor was clear before entering the room. The helicarrier was readjusting itself, going back to level again. As I entered my eyes widened in horror. Thor was trapped in Loki's cell. Upon seeing me Thor shouted my name as the cage dropped.

"Thor!" I screamed as I ran to the massive hole now in the floor. My breath was heavy as I watched the glass cage fall thousands of feet. I could no longer see as the floor closed up around the hole. I looked up to see Loki standing very smugly by the buttons.

"What have you done? You killed him!" I shouted at him. Loki tutted at me and slowly walked towards me.

"Liara, does it really matter?" he asked with a smile. "Come, come with me," he said in a commanding tone. I scrunched up my face at him. He held out his hand to me. I was compelled to reach out and take it. I longed to touch him. There was no longer any glass between us. A pained groan echoed from behind me.

"Phil?" I whispered to myself. Coulson was sat up against the wall, blood smeared across his chest. I instantly ran to him and I collapsed to my knees. "Oh my God Phil. What has he done to you?" I asked with tears in my eyes. I applied pressure to the wound on his chest. It was wide and gaping.

"Liara there is nothing you can do for this mortal. He chose his own fate." Loki growled at my resistance towards him. "Liara!" He shouted at me. I could not look away from Coulson. This was all my fault.

"You're going to lose." Coulson strained to speak. Loki looked at him with great pleasure.

"Why?" He obliged him. I could see Coulson's struggle to speak.

"Its in your nature." He breathed. I was trying to keep as much pressure on the chest as possible. Loki stepped closer.

"Your heroes are scattered, your floating fortress falls from the sky. Where is my disadvantage?" He laughed throwing his arms wide open. I could hear a low chuckle from Coulson.

"You lack conviction." He responded strongly. Loki looked angry at this.

"I don't think I..." A sudden burst from Coulson's gun erupted, sending Loki smashing through a solid concrete wall. My mouth was wide open in shock.

"So that's what it does." Coulson laughed dryly. I looked at the hole in the wall where Loki had been flung. It was now that my heart settled, there was no turning back.

"We have to keep pressure on this wound." I told him pressing down hard.

"Are you not going to see if he is ok?" Coulson asked surprised. I shook my head. Coulson was the one who needed my attention, I owed him my life and I wasn't about to lose him.

"So...Liara...an Asgardian?" He laughed to himself. I had to smile at it too.

"Yes," I replied, my voice trembling at my realisation at how bad the damage was.

"It all makes sense now....and you're married to Loki?" he asked with amusement. His eyes began to flicker.

"Phil, you got to stay with me." I urged him to stay awake. His hand grabbed mine.

"Thank you." He groaned in pain.

"For what?" I asked blurry eyed.  

"Just...thank you," he said genuinely. He was dying, I knew it and it was tearing me apart. I would never be able to forgive Loki for this. He is a good man, a great man. He did not deserve this. Fury rushed into the room and pushed me aside. I stood up and turned around, I could not bear to watch. My hand covered my mouth to stop the sobs.

"I got rebated," Coulson said to Fury.

"Stay awake," Fury said the same as I did. He was crouching my him. I turned back to look. "Eyes on me!" he said sternly.

"I am gone now anyway," he whispered, his life was leaving him.

"That's not an option," he said staring deep into his eyes.

"It's ok boss...this was never going to work....they didn't have something to...to..." He was struggling to breathe. He was dignified even in death. My held back tears rolled down my face as he breathed his last. His eyes stared on. Fury bowed his head. The medical team rushed in trying to save him but it was futile, pointless.

"Coulson is down." He spoke into his com.

"Medical teams are on their way to your location." Hill replied.

"They are already here...they called it." The com's were silent as well as Fury. I looked one last time at Coulson as the medics wheeled out his body. At least he was with his family now. Fury now turned to me, looking angry and hurt.

"I think you have some explaining to do," he said bitterly. I could hide it no longer.