Recruitment

"I thought the Avengers initiative was inactive," I muttered to Coulson as we got into the plane. He was shaking his head, obviously still shocked at the devastation at HQ.

"It is officially but... what else can we do?" he replied. My heart was aching. I could do nothing. This man who crippled brave men and crushed landscapes was not the man I married. All I could do was sit and wait, play it by ear and respond as I was expected to. Thor was sure to turn up soon and he cannot find me. It would be too messy and make it too personal. When we arrived at the helicarrier and it was buzzing with people. Jets were zooming on and off of the top and everyone was on high alert. I had never been on the helicarrier before, it was much larger than I had ever imagined. We entered the main base of the carrier and I saw multiple men and women on computers desperately trying to track the Tesseract.

"Get some sleep, its going to be a long night," Coulson said whilst stretching. I agreed but I could hardly sleep not knowing what Loki was doing. I resulted in watched the footage of Loki arriving on Midgard over and over again. I was horrified at what I was watching and refused to believe what I was seeing. I had got so entranced I hardly noticed that two hours had passed and it was midnight. I walked out of the resting room for over night officers and walked onto the main deck. Hill was there with a prominent cut across one of her eyebrows. I walked up to her.

"How many?" I asked quietly, referring to the fatalities in the collapsed base. She swallowed and looked at me with wide eyes.

"Over fifty," she said full of regret. "I should have killed the bastard," she remarked spitefully. This world was so full of hate and war and death....and it scared me. I walked over to Coulson who was on the phone. He looked like he was on hold. I could hear fighting and men grunting on the other end.

"Natasha." Coulson mouthed explaining. Natasha never really liked me thanks to my intervention with Deadpool. She avoided me when she could and never really trusted me either.

"We don't know....We think so," he replied to her questions on the phone. "We need you to bring in the big guy," Coulson said.

"You know Stark trusts me about as much as he can throw me." I could hear her mumble.

"Oh no I got Stark, you get the big guy." And he hung up.

"So to Stark tower?" I asked. Coulson nodded in reply.

"In the fastest jet we have," he said impressively. It was small, but boy was it fast. It wasn't far to go but it saved a lot of time. This thing was huge, the situation was growing more and more unstable. Thor would need all the help he could get to get Loki. Fury was already going to talk to Rogers and Natasha with Banner, all we had to do was get Stark. We landed in a near air base. As we got to Stark tower it was lighting up like a Christmas tree. Jarvis, his home computer, greeted us.

"I am afraid Mr. Stark is busy," he said in his mono tone.

"It's urgent." Coulson replied. I never liked talking to something you could not see.

"He insists you leave a message." Jarvis answered back. To this Coulson typed in some numbers on the elevator, over riding his proto calls.

"Mr Stark we need to talk!" Coulson said sternly and a picture of Tony appeared on a small screen.

"This is a life model decoy of Tony Stark, please leave a message." Tony tried to muck around.

"This is urgent." Coulson was getting more and more annoyed.

"Then leave it urgently." He replied as the doors opened. "Security breach!" He cried sarcastically.

"Phil, Claire! Come in!" Pepper invited us in.