Chapter 5: The Video

A/N: Helloooooo.

*

Lacey’s POV

After hanging out with Cole all day, I headed home. Stepping into my room, I tripped on a box and almost fell face first. “Mother trucker.” I muttered, grabbing the wall for support. I knelt down and picked up the small box, immediately realizing what it was. I let out a sharp breath, turning the CD case over in my hands.

I changed into some pajamas before getting comfortable in my bed. I placed the video into the TV and sat down. Knowing what was coming, as I had watched it a million times before. I grabbed my pillow in some attempt to slow the tears that were inevitably going to come. The video started and showed my cousin, one of my favorite people in the world.

“God dangit. Would you just work you piece of sh-. Oh hi.” He began sheepishly, and I couldn’t help but grin at my idiot cousin. “This video is currently being made for my cousin, so if you’re watching this then, hi Lace.” He grinned. “I’m making this video to talk about how amazing that she is. I’ve never met someone who has a sweeter soul. She’s compassionate, kind, funny, and always so forgiving. No matter how much you mess up, you can always guarantee that she’ll end up giving you another shot.”

No matter how many times I watched this video, I always cried.

“My cousin is the most amazing person that I know and I’m so lucky to have her in my life. That’s why I hate to leave her. She most likely already knows by now, considering she’ll be watching this after I’m gone, but she doesn’t know just yet while I’m filming this.” He took in a deep breath and I wiped my cheek, knowing that this was the part that always got me so upset. “I have cancer. It’s-it’s everywhere. She doesn’t know yet, but I-I’m not gonna make it. There’s just no way.”

“The doctors can’t treat it. There’s too much of it. I only have a month, if that. I just don’t know how I’m supposed to tell her, truth be told I don’t really want to be the one to tell her. I hate seeing her cry, more than anything in the world. She always has this smile on her face; it just doesn’t look right when she cries.” He was crying in the video which, of course, just made me bawl harder.

“Lacey, I’ve never been good with feelings, you know that. But, I just wanted to tell you that I love you, I love you so much, and I’m sorry that this is happening and I’m sorry that I’m leaving you because it sucks. I love you so much, Lace. I’m so sorry, I’m so so sorry. I wish we had more time, I really do. I may not have lived a long life, but I lived a meaningful one, and I wouldn’t change any of it. You’re my favorite person, and you always will be. I’ll always be watching you, kay? Always. And trust me, I’ll be mentally beating up all of the guys you decide are worth your time, because they’re probably not.” He laughed.

I laughed too, well through my tears.

“I love you Lace, I’ll see you, okay?” He smiled, before clicking the camera off.

Brett died 3 weeks after shooting this video. My parents gave me the video a couple days after his death. They gave nothing away, they simply told me to watch it. So I did. That was 3 years ago, but no matter how many times I watch it, I never get sick of hearing his voice, knowing that it’s the only thing I have left of him, other than memories of course.

I just sat on my bed, staring at the wall; all of the pain from 3 years ago rushing back to me.  I closed my eyes, holding my head, the tears flowing yet again. I know that he wouldn’t want me to be so upset, he’d want me to be smiling. But it hurt. I missed him so much; everyday. I missed hanging out with him, I missed talking on the phone, I just missed him.

“Hey Neighbor.” I heard Cole say through the open windows. I couldn’t respond, I was crying and I didn’t want him to know that I was crying. “Lacey? I hope you’re decent because I’m coming over.” He said and my eyes widened. He wouldn’t, would he? I watched with wide eyes and he landed in my room, right in front of the window.

I sat frozen still, hoping he wouldn’t notice me. He turned, his eyes immediately landing on me. I had my eyes closed, sniffling slightly. “Have you been crying?” He asked me cautiously. My eyes snapped open and I looked at him. “No, I’m just sweating from my eyes.” I snapped at him. I hated when people saw me cry, it made me feel weak, and I hated feeling weak.

 “Are you okay?”  he asked quietly, ignoring my snarky comment. I closed my eyes, willing myself not to cry. “Lacey?” he asked, his voice suddenly much closer. “Talk to me.” he murmured, laying his hand on my arm. That’s when the dam broke loose. The tears streamed down my face and Cole enveloped me in a hug. I was pressed against his chest, him whispering soothing words to me as he stroked my hair. “Cole.” I whimpered, suddenly extremely tired from all of the crying I had done.

“Do you wanna talk?” he murmured, holding my face between his hands, his eyes soft. “Long story.” I mumbled. “I got time.” he smiled slightly. “My cousin died, three years ago. He had cancer, but before he died he made me a video, telling me how much he loved me and all that stuff. I’ve always kept it and I just watched it and I guess it just upset me all over again.” I said, not wanting to get into detail.

“I’m sorry, Lace. That really sucks.” he said, tugging me into his arms again. “Why don’t you get some sleep, okay?” I murmured, walking us over to my bed. “Will you stay?” I croaked out. His eyebrows shot up in surprise. “So you want me to?” he asked. “Will you please?” I asked, looking down. “Yeah, I’ll stay.” He said.

He got into bed next to me, lying flat on his back. I turned onto my side, looking at him before laying my head on his shoulder and resting my hand on his chest. He tensed up for a minute before relaxing and wrapping his arm around my waist. I nuzzled my face into his neck, breathing in his scent. He made me feel safe. He kissed the side of my head before I dozed off to sleep.

*

A/N: Well that was depressing. I’m sorry. It’ll be less sad next time, I swear. Abby xo