Chapter 8

Chapter 8

**Harry's POV**

 'Ron...' I said. I didn't know where to start. I loved Hermione but that wouldn't be good enough for him. I don't think anything I'd ever say anymore would be good enough but all I can do is try. 'Ron...' I said again, 'You are my best mate, alright? Actually you're more like a brother and I can't believe I did this.'

'Yeah neither can I.' He retorted.

'Well Ron I- I guess there is nothing I can say to make it better, can I? All I can say is I am sorry. I love Hermione and I love you too, in different ways though.'

He chuckled. It was a start.

'Look, mate, if you would've told me instead of lying to me, maybe we would be able to work something out. I do love you like a brother, but losing one was hard enough and I can't do it anymore. I'm sorry both of you. I just need space right now to think it over.' Ron said with a trace of authority and hidden sadness in his voice. He stood, and just when he turned around and said, 'Sorry about the nose.' With that he was gone.

 'Uhm, did he just accept it?' Hermione said confused and bewildered.

'Well not officially but yes.'

'Boys?!' Hermione exclaimed confused and flustered.

The days grew easier. Ron was saying hello and goodbye and he hadn't punched me in the face yet. Hermione and Ron were back to normal again, well as normal as they could. They were best friends again now but I still felt this growing thing in the pit of my stomach when I saw them together.  Everyone else seemed to be relaxed with our relationship now too; the only one who was still holding a grudge was Ginny. Hermione, Ron and I had all tried to talk to her and explain without prevail; Luna had even tried for us.

The summer slowly turned into autumn, turning the leaves multi-coloured and soon enough they were falling to the ground along with white wisps of snow. I played with the parchment in my fingers. It was an invitation, of sorts, to the burrow for Christmas. Ginny had obviously been sending messages to Molly; Ron had too and she seemed conflicted. I didn't know what to do exactly. As I heard the door of our common room open, I hid the letter quickly. 

'Hey mate!' Ron said merrily, 'look we, I mean just us, we haven't talked about... it... properly you know and well, I think it's great.'

'What happened?' I said smiling; it wasn't like Ron to give up without a fight unless something larger to fight for came along.

'Luna...'

'Ha! I remember only last year you were calling her Loony still.'

'Yeah well times change and all, and she's really nice and weird, but good weird.' We chuckled and chatted for hours and hours, rebuilding the friendship we'd lost. It was great until we realized the time. 'You better run mate or I'll put you in detention for being out of bed after hours.' Even though I was joking, Ron left briskly after. I walked over to Hermione's door and knocked. I heard her voice from the other side of the door call me in, 'Harry? Come in...'

As I entered, I also noticed a similar letter for Hermione that Mrs Weasley had sent to me, 'you got one too I see.' I said as I picked it up from the dresser. She chuckled and nodded, 'Yeah. But I'm not sure; I really don't think Ginny wants either of us there. Anyways I haven't had a proper Christmas with my parents in what feels like ages. I thought I'd just say there.'

'Good plan. I'd better get packing then; I thought I'd stay at Grimmauld place. I don't think I can face Mrs Weasley's silent treatment.' I smiled and kissed Hermione on the forehead.

**Hermione's POV**

'Harry wait.' I heard myself say as he had his hand on the door to leave, 'Stay with us.'

'What?' he said as he turned slightly confused. I chuckled at his confused face and explained, 'Well, you've never really met my parents and you shouldn't be alone at Christmas. I know I'm a pretty poor substitute but well why not?' 

'You're not a poor substitute, you're perfect but I wouldn't want to invade on your family Christmas.' He looked sad and lost and alone.

'Harry you are family you idiot. You are to me.'