Blind Beauty | 18

Chapter Dieciocho

Arlette was beyond shocked.

Far from it?

She was lost of words, “What...”

“Arlette, my dear, your mother is...vicious,” he whispered the last word, as if afraid someone might hear him. “She demands the power that I do not have,” he said softly.

“Father, what are you talking about? What are you saying?”

Arlette felt as he became alarmed once again, as if he’d just realized something.

The Prince was here.

He coughed, then he said, barely loud enough for the Prince to hear, “Your Highness, if it is not much to ask, I wish to speak with my daughter alone,” her father said the words with all due and honorable respect, it really showed how much he valued the Prince, but Arlette felt she couldn’t turn back and face the Prince. She just couldn’t even if she should have.

The Prince said nothing, but Arlette heard the door creak open and then seconds later, close.

Her father released a relieved breath.

She still couldn’t understand. “What is it, father?”

Arlette could hear as her father began to have a hard time breathing.“Arlette, there are some things you should know,” he explained quietly. Then he said, “Your mother and I are no longer together,”

Arlette’s eyes widened and her body became stiff at the sudden news. Regardless, her father continued to talk forcibly, “Since we got here,”

“But why?” was all she could ask.

He sighed shallowly. “It just wasn’t...working out, my dear.” He drew a long breath. “After we came to the palace, she was so...infatuated with finding out who you really were—finding out  who was the man your grandma’s grandma married...And to find out she had to negotiate and do reckless things and decisions. I didn’t want to have any part in it. All of our arguments and disputes always came down to that one man,” He coughed uncontrollably, groaning painfully, but regardless, continued, adding, “she has just lost all affection towards me,”

Arlette couldn’t believe it. Her mother had never showed any signs of such obsession. She was always just very cautious about Arlette and her sisters but nothing as far as negotiations and other things.