Blind Beauty | 3

Forgot who made the banner but there it is!

EDITED.

Chapter Tres

"Ember, get the carriage!"

            They ran as fast as they could out of the cottage, picking up just a few necessities and throwing them in the carriage. It felt as if there were big oak trees falling from the sky when the ground shook aggressively beneath them.

            Arlette could hear the poor horse whinnying in fear as it was being tied to the carriage. She flinched at the thundering, ear-splitting sound that came from the sky when her mom was grabbing her hand violently and pushing her inside the vehicle. She  could also smell the suffocating stench of smoke coming from the meadow, and she wished it wasn't what she was thinking.

            And then it hit her. Her village was being destroyed.

            She could hear the agonizing screaming of women and children, and the yelling of men to get carriages.

            "No, no, no, no, no..." She whispered over and over again as she heard her father's voice yelling at them to get moving.

            Cade and Ember entered the small, croaky carriage out of breath, sniffling as they felt another one of those things fall from the sky and shake the ground strongly.

            Everything happened very fast. Before Arlette knew it, they were already on their way out of the now damaged village and looking for the nearest shelter.

            Arlette's mom was crying beside her, murmuring inaudible things. She tried soothing her mother's nerves as she rubbed her tensed back in circles, whispering that they were going to be okay - that everything was going to be okay. It had to be okay.

            The ride was quiet. Arlette's grandmother didn't say anything all the way through. Maybe it was all too much to process and she was still thinking about what just happened. Besides, she grew up there after all, and it being destroyed in just a minute wasn't something for the mind to easily process. Arlette pursed her lips. Ember and Cade were crying silently, taking deep breaths.

            But everything was just surreal to Arlette.

            She couldn't believe the fact that they had just been attacked by some unknown forces. Her village. The place where she grew up and became the person she was now. It was all too much to understand. All her family had been born and raised here.

            And then there was the meadow. She knew it had lit up on fire—she could feel it. She could feel memories being burned away by the fire. Her eyes stung with tears as she pushed the burning smell and the agonizing screaming away. She didn't want to think about that now.

            "Who could've it been?" Arlette's mother murmured to herself, as if she already had a deep conversation going up in her mind.

            Nobody volunteered to answer. Besides, Arlette was the only one who heard her. But she didn't bother to say anything.

            After about two hours, they came to a halt. And as soon as the carriage stopped, everyone hopped out as fast as they could. Arlette took her time though. She didn't know where she was - her surroundings; what awaited her—she had to become in touch with nature first.