Blind Beauty | 5

Dedicated to AshleeMay for the epic banner!

HALF EDITED.

Chapter Cinco

            Mumbling a goodbye to her mother, Arlette went back to bed excitedly, getting into the covers. 

            She waited and waited. Finally, when she heard her mother's footsteps fade, she jumped out again, going slowly and cautiously towards the door, but the excitement and anticipation was killing her, so being cautious or slow didn't really worked. She managed to get to the door quietly though, for which she was silently grateful for.

            But then, for a brief moment, she heard heavy footsteps approach. That made her jump, startled. But she didn't move, she kept quiet, listening. They got stronger then. She flew straight back to bed, her heart literally wanting to come out of her rib cage.

            Regardless, she listened attentively. The footsteps were getting closer. And closer. And closer. The closer they got, the more nervous Arlette felt. Was someone coming to her room? Someone she didn't know? It felt different, the presence. And despite the fact that whoever was getting closer to her door, was someone she didn't know. Yet, the presence felt powerful and dominant, like the King's. But it also felt cold and empty, something the King lacked.

            Arlette drew the covers up to her chin anxiously, her breathing hard. She turned, trying to focus on who might be outside the door, but at the same time pretending to sleep.

            The ponderous footsteps stopped right at her door.

            Her breath was caught in her throat. For some reason, she already knew this wasn't the King. For some reason, she was scared. She had never felt this scared. And for some unexplained reason, she didn't want to know who was right at her door, she had a very certain idea of who it might be, yet, she wouldn't let her mind accept that.

            She bit her lip to stop her from screaming. This wasn't the time to scream or cry.   

            The knob was being turned, she could hear it, and it took Arlette everything she had in her to not scream at the top of her lungs. The tension was so thick, she could've cut it with a knife.

            The turning stopped— the door was locked . Arlette let out a small breath, relieved.   

            It was being turned again, but it stopped as if not wanting to force it open, and finally, the sound of the footsteps began to descend.

            Arlette let out a long breath as soon as she heard the footsteps fade in the distance, slowly placing her hand on her chest.

            Her heart was thumping hastily. And suddenly, she felt as if she was being choked. She needed to get out of here. The room felt heavy and ponderous. It soon hit her that it wasn't like that when the footsteps were approaching - in fact, it had never felt this foggy and heavy - just now, when whoever was outside the door left.  

            Arlette got out of bed dizzily. Her head was spinning. She had to get out of here - someone had done something to this room.

            She went through her dress pocket and grabbed for her cane. Arlette couldn't feel her hands - she knew she was moving them but she couldn't feel it. For the first time, she felt lost. She didn't know where to go - she didn't know where the door or the window was.