Blind Beauty | 15

Beautiful banner on the side by severuslexus!

Chapter Quince

Arlette was uncomfortable. She had completely forgotten how bad and awful were the side effects of the orchid wind, which was the substance her grandma had blown once again against her eyes. Strangely enough, it made her sweat all over and have something remotely close to palpitations. Her eyes got watery from time to time and she felt upset without any convenient reason. Her grandma had told her that the orchid wind was supposed to fadely, vaguely, tame her. Arlette felt she could laugh at her words; for Arlette  never considered herself to be someone as reckless and wild to the point of using something scarcely helpful and essential. The words leaving her grandma's lips sounded foreign and strange for some reason.

And here was the thing:

There was always something to treat something. Nothing was ever left out. Arlette could say she was amazed at how many medicines and herbs and spells and weird stuff there was to treat odd, almost-non-existent illnesses, which often never really worked—only by a slight chance, or if the healer was a very experienced one.

But, right now, she only knew one thing and one thing only:

Arlette hated these stupid methods.

And she was sweating, something close to crying, and ultimately upset.

"Can someone now explain to me what's happening?" Arlette was exasperated. She cracked her neck uncomfortably. "I," she pointed to herself, the side effects were really getting at her, "Arlette, supposedly healed my own, completely deteriorated back and there was no magic spell or anything! Ha! How wonderful is that? Is there anything else I'm able to do?" Her voice was mocking as she walked passed her grandmother, stretching her arms on either side and looking up towards the sky, saying, "Like fly?"

Her head spun dizzily at the action. And Ember giggled.

"Arlette, don't be a fool," her grandma said disappointedly.

"Don't be a fool?" Arlette asked incredulously, retreating her arms, and walking back toward her grandma. She felt her mother grab her, but she yanked her arm right away. "I'm the one who's going through this odd...phase, I'm the one who's spine shattered and healed in less than a whole minute, I'm the one feeling funny, I'm the one to be last of knowing anything when it comes to this family! And you're telling me not to be a fool?" Arlette couldn't believe her grandma right now.

"Arlette! Don't talk to your grandmother like that!" Her mother yelled, grabbing her arm forcefully and turning Arlette to face her mother. "The tongue is one of the worst enemies, we need to know how to use it," she hissed.

"Leave her, Lena. It's true and you know it."

Arlette had known and was conscious of the fact that she had disrespected her grandmother  to a certain level and that she was acting like a totally spoiled, rotten girl, or maybe it was the side effects, like mentioned before, but above all, Arlette just wanted to be understood—at least that's what she thought. Her mother let go of Arlette, leaving her arm slightly throbbing from the dead grip. Arlette didn't mind.