Blind Beauty | 17

Dedicated to AlleyMcAllister for the gorgeous banner on the side!

Chapter Diecisiete

    Arlette was getting tired of her constant fallings in the halls. She could almost laugh at the many times she’d fallen. Though really not understanding how anyone could fall so many times.

    “Where were you heading, my lady?” the guardian asked expectantly.

    Arlette was blank. Where was she heading? She didn’t even know. “Uh...”

    “You’re not supposed to run the halls—”

    “No, I know. I just needed some fresh air,” she said quickly, smiling to reassure him. She did need fresh air, she needed to get away from her grandma, from her mom, from everybody. Arlette felt suffocated, like things were piling up inside of her. She wanted things to go smoother than this. Way smoother now that she thought of it. None of this was supposed to happen. Arlette wasn’t supposed to come to this place and be locked up for weeks. She wasn’t supposed to meet the Prince. She wasn’t supposed to have dreams about this morbid woman, or be chosen by Fate. Arlette wasn’t supposed to have abilities or be anything out of the ordinary.

Arlette wasn’t supposed to feel anything for the Beast. But there was something. A sting, a prickle tugging against her very soul. It was scary, yet fascinating.  Despite her being beyond terrified of him,  somehow, he was always in her thoughts, like a wolf lurking in the shadows, waiting, waiting, waiting.

Arlette felt like she could have a mental breakdown.

“Miss?” Arlette jumped a little at the sudden disturbance of her thoughts. “Are you hearing anything of what I’m saying?”

Arlette felt guilty for that. “No. Please forgive me. I...”

“Miss, don’t apologize. It’s alright,” he said sincerely. “I was but informing you that the Prince wants to see you at his study.”

Can her day just get anymore interesting?

Something in her stomach thrashed.

Arlette was trying to keep it together. “Oh yes, of course.”

“Very well then,” the guardian said. Arlette made a move to go, but the guardian then said, “Come, miss, allow me to escort you there.”

He stood next to her, and Arlette slid her hand through the gap between his elbow and rib cage, and rested it on his forearm, allowing him to guide her.

The walk was silent. But Arlette didn’t want silence.

“What’s your name?” she asked casually. Arlette liked knowing people’s names even though she considered it a small bad habit of hers.

But the guardian didn’t seem bothered by her question. “Why, my name is Alfonso, miss.”

Arlette nodded. “Alfonso... Very unique,” she said truthfully.