The Purchased Mistress

5 years later...

Life is a funny thing. Thing's in life are very rarely free, they rarely go your way and you can't always buy everything you want. It can also change a lot in a very small amount of time. Time and change...two ironic words to me. My life has changed drastically over the course of a few short years and yet I spent so long with no change in sight. Sometimes you desperately wish for it; at other, you desperately try to stop it.

One thing I sometimes like to do is to look back and reminisce. To wonder what happened to people I have met along the way. How is there life now? And other times, I desperately wish to avoid them at all cost.

I spent too many years just getting by, living day to day. And then, I spent another good portion of years doing what other people wanted. I went through different sages of life and the most painful was probably the one where I tried to please everyone. Everyone that is, but myself.

Is it wrong to be selfish from time to time? Is it wrong to want to do what you want to do and damn the rest? We all have to learn to live our own lives, to be accountable for our own actions and not every one elses.

So that's what I did. I lived my life. I took charge, chose a direction and headed for it. After all, I had spent too many years at the mercy of others. I deserved to take the steps to forge my own life.

And now, all these years later, it's finally paid off...

"Are you ready? We are going to be late!" said a harried voice from behind me. I spun towards the deep baritone and smiled unrepentantly at his disgruntled face.

"Coming! Just need to get my gown and cap!" I grabbed my bag off the counter, went to the ladies room and went dashing out the exit.

"Knock 'em dead sweetheart!" was the chorus that greeted me as I left the hotel.

"You can count on it! I better see you there!" I yelled over my shoulder.

"We will be right behind you in the other car!" Was the answer I received right before I jumped into the back seat of the car. I sat back and heaved a big sigh of contentment.

"You ready then? Not nervous yet?" asked the same voice I had relied on so many times over the last few years.

"As ready as I ever will be. And of course I'm nervous. I may just barf! What did I get myself into?!" My heart was thundering madly as nerves finally got the better part of me.

The gentleman at my side leaned over to kiss me gently on the cheek and took my hand to give it a reassuring squeeze. And just like that, my stomach stopped doing back flips and I started to relax.

My rock.

Sometime later, we made it to the grounds. When the car stopped, I opened my door and hopped out.

"I got to go to the main building to get ready! See you after the ceremony!" My escort waived me off and I dashed into the overcrowded main building.

"Paige! Where the hell have you been? You got me so nervous. And where are your things?" asked a stern older woman. She was all of five foot nothing, grey hair and one of the best mentors I have ever had.

"It's okay Mrs. Peterson. I'm here, the things are in the bag...I'm all set!" I answered her, grinning from ear to ear.

"Are you really?" she asked worriedly. My heart melted with tenderness. Of all people, this woman knew everything about me and understood.

"Trust me Mrs. Peterson, I'm ready. This is nothing compared to my past." I said gently.

"Then you go and knock them dead my dear! You hear me!"

"I hear you!" I answered her while laughing. I followed the mass of people to go take my seat at the forefront.

Mr. Delson was at the front, giving the introductions. I tried my best to still the jiggling of my legs. All to soon, I was called.

"It is with great Honour that Yale University presents the next young lady to the podium. She has graduated top of her class with a specialization in criminology. Led me present you this year's Valedictorian, Ms. Paige Croxon.

I rose amid cheers and yells and a few cat calls of 'take off your clothes!' I took it all in with a peaceful smile on my face. If there was any moment in my life I was proud of, it was this one.

"Good Afternoon fellow students and faculty, friends and family. I stand before you and proudly present the graduating class of 2016. We have strived for excellence and to reach our goal and all sixty two of us can acknowledge that with pride. I just want to wish everyone the best in the future. I just have one request. Live life. We all are given choices in life. Sometimes they are forced on us. But in the end, it all depends how we play our hand. Do we roll with the punches life has dealt with or do we stand tall and fight for our wishes, our dreams...our desires. Is that not our goal as lawyers? To push and fight back, to fight for peoples dreams, wishes...their very needs? We cannot be passive as lawyers. Of that, there is no doubt.

All of us who stand here today have a story. We put ourselves through so many years of law school for a purpose. To serve, to the best of our capability and beyond. Life is not for the meek. Oh, you will survive...but will you truly live?

So I urge you all to remember each and everyday what brought you here, what made you strive, what made you fight...and what will make you continue to fight to be the best that you can be. We can achieve great things if we only try and to not skate around fears and boundaries. Break down those walls, forge through and carve your name, your purpose, your goals and finally your accomplishment, in the memories of all who surround you. Live free, live proud!" I finished in a yell and an air fist pump.

The crowd around me erupted as well as the student body. As far as speeches went, it wasn't the best, but it was the message I wanted to send out. At the moment, everyone was just high on graduating. We did the cap toss and took pictures and in the end, I just wanted to be out of there and at the celebratory cocktail party.

"Hey there beautiful." Said a deep sultry voice behind me. I spun around with and smiled at the one person who I could not have made it here without.

"Hey hun!" I kissed him gently on the lips, enjoying the residual tingle from the contact. No matter how much time passed, this man never stopped to make me throb. "Was I worth making you wait?"

"Every single moment...and you know it!" He grinned cheekily at me.

"Good! Shall we join the others?"

"Yes please!"

We started to make our way towards the cars so we could head off to the restaurant when I felt a gentle hand grip mine.

"Paige?"

"Yes?"

"I just wanted to tell you how proud I am of you. I always thought you would make a good life for yourself but I never once thought I would see the day I saw you standing up at that podium. Promise me you will never doubt yourself again."

"I promise sweetheart, as long as you remember that I wouldn't have made it without you."

"Yes you would have. I didn't push you to this. Hell, I didn't even mention school to you once! This was all you're doing." He was so cute when he was defensive and riled up.

"Notice how I said wouldn't and not couldn't. Oh I could have done this, but my plans before I met you were deridingly different then what they are now weren't they?" I answered softly, a tender smile on my face.

He just stopped and stared at me intensely a moment.

"That they were. Funny how things happen and life that can change it completely, isn't it?" he pointed out ironically.

"Sweetie, I was thinking the exact same thing before we left!" I laughed as I opened the car door.

*****

ALright, so obviously, as you have noticed, this chapter is exceedingly different. We are going of course wether you like it or not. And if you haven't guessed, PM is most probably nearing a close. That is, unless some new scheme pops up in my head. SO the great unveiling will happen soon. Who did Paige choose???? Mwahahah. That said, I won't be uplaoding for awhile, enjoy