The Purchased Mistress P16.2

And as promised...Part 2 a little later in the evening.

Don't forget to vote and leave me your comments!!!

D

**********************

The grumbling of my stomach sent me out of the haven of my room and in search of the kitchen. I had checked the time after my nerve racking call with Cade and was surprised to see that it was only quarter to nine.

I made my way downstairs as quietly as possible, although I doubt I would have disturbed anyone. The place was so big, I was sure it was possible to not see someone for quite a few days if you wished it.

When I reached the first floor, I followed the large hall, hoping to find my way to the kitchen. If I couldn't find my way back to the room, I decided I would just make use of any of the numerous other ones available.

When I rounded yet another corner, I stilled, my hand resting on the wall. There was a light glow seeping from a doorway and the most beautiful music was coming from beyond. It was a wonderful piano melody and I walked slowly towards the source, savouring each and every cord played. It was the softest of lullaby's, a most soothing sound and extremely welcome at this point.

When I reached the doorway, I peeked in and nearly gasped. There, seated at a baby grand piano was Logan, his eyes closed as his fingers flowed effortlessly over the keys. I watched him, mesmerized, as he sat entranced in his piece of music. I had imagined many things for Logan, but being a piano player had never been prominent in my mind.

When the piece was over, he rested his hands in his lap, his eyes still closed. I watched his chest rise and fall as he took deep, even breaths.

"You can come in you know." He said oh so softly. I jerked in response, shocked out of my reverie and flushed with embarrassment at having been caught listening at the door like some peeping tom. I fiddled with my hands as I walked over to him and then stood listlessly at his side, not sure of what to do.

"Come, take a seat." He said with a kind smile as he gently patted the piano seat next to him that had been pushed over to make room for his wheelchair.

I took his invitation gladly. There was a moment of silence which I found awkward and had a desperate urge to fill.

"You play very beautifully." I said, inanely, and could feel my cheeks heat in a blush. I felt so dumb, so uneducated. He was so refined and I was just one step below white trash, whatever that may be. There was no classical music, pianos and butlers where I was from. There were only drugs, sex, alcohol and vulgarity. I felt like I was sullying him with my mere presence, as if I were too unclean to even be in the house.

"Thank you. Now how about telling me what has you so upset?" he asked gently, staring intently into my face.

I looked down at my hands. I would die before I admitted the fact that I felt I was polluting the very air he breathed with my presence. He knew exactly where I came from and what my roots where and yet I was still here.

"I don't know what you mean." I murmured, still staring at my hands.

"Come now Paige, you were frowning something fierce. I know you are probably not happy to be here and I really am sorry for the inconvenience but I think it is time that you and I became personally acquainted, don't you?" he asked gently.

"Acquainted for what? The bed chamber?" I snapped and stared him straight in the eye.

Part of my previous embarrassment was due to more than just getting caught eavesdropping. It had to do with the fact that not even a day earlier, I had smacked this man in the face. I had expected to be reprimanded, not the welcome he had offered. But that embarrassment and slight fear had evaporated in the face of his comment.