The Purchased Mistress P5

I didn't go back to the café the next day, or the day after that either. I know what you are thinking. Am I mad? I must be, right? What woman would pass up a clear invitation from a guy so charismatic and good looking? I'd like to chalk it up to a female trick of ensnaring a man more firmly, of not wanting to look desperate but rather confident and in charge.

I couldn't do that unfortunately.

The truth was that I was a coward. I was unnerved by the meeting with Cade and didn't think I had the self-confidence to do it again...especially when it was a clear invitation to pursue. I went to bed that night feeling all giddy and excited and woke up paranoid and stressed with the horror scenarios that kept appearing in my head.

I had no idea how to flirt much less how to carry on a relationship! Oh I know I'm jumping the gun but still...

So went the next few days of me completely avoiding the café. That is until that faithful day Thursday. My boss was having a meeting at one and had requested me to go get six coffees for it. So at twelve forty, I found myself just to the side of the café, shaking in nervousness and trying desperately to talk myself into opening the door.

With a last muttered "you can do it!" I yanked the door open and headed towards the counter. I tried hard not to look around, trying to find a familiar set of shoulders. I completely failed.

And to my surprise, he wasn't there. I had stressed myself out for nothing it seems. Just when I started relaxing, I couldn't help the stab of disappointment that went through me. It's not that I didn't want to see him. Oh no, just the opposite in fact. I wanted to see those kind eyes and teasing smile more than anything. I just was afraid of making an idiot of myself and ruining it.

Well it seems he had given up. I sighed in disappointment and turned to order my six venti lattes. I was just paying the clerk when I felt a shiver go down my spine and felt my neck break out in goose bumps.

"Well hello there." breathed that smooth velvety voice I had missed so much.

I closed my eyes and shuddered slightly. I handed the cash over to the clerk while looking over my shoulder.

There was Cade in all his fine glory, wearing a light grey suit with a mint green shirt and matching tie. He stood there with a grin on lips, displaying his dimple to perfection, and his hands stuck deep in his pants pockets. He looked young, boyish and rakish all at once.

"Hello Cade..." I drifted off. I didn't know what to say. My voice lacked enthusiasm, something I regretted instantly when I saw his eyes register confusion and hurt. I turned quickly around and thanked the clerk as I moved off to the side to wait for my order.

A few seconds later, Cade came to join me, a regular coffee in hand.

"I missed you these last couple of days. I hope I didn't come off too strongly to make you avoid me...or maybe I'm being a little egotistical and you just got stuck with work" he said while fixing his coffee.

Well if that wasn't a pickle...what the hell was I suppose to say now?

"Uh no...just been hectic at work what with all these meetings and all" I gestured uselessly to the tray the girl was preparing for me.

"Ah! Understandable" he answered in a way that made me sure he didn't believe me. "I was hoping I'd hear from you. Did you get my number I left with you?"

"Uh I did...I didn't feel comfortable using it though honestly, felt as if I may be bothering you and such..." I finished lamely.

His grin came back full force then. I didn't understand why.