"A frown that would put Eeyore to shame"

Annette P.O.V.

I vaguely remember a saying that started to spread throughout the halls during middle school; I sometimes want to get into an accident just to see who would visit me in the hospital. I personally thought that whole saying was utterly juvenile and stupid, but now four years later, I kind of understand it.

          The moment that I was able to sit up in bed without my ribs murdering my lungs I had had an immeasurable amount of visitors. Everyone from my new friends to the lunch ladies have been walking into my room with get well soon cards, obnoxious balloons, and ugly stuffed animals. I chalked it up to them actually coming to visit Adam and feeling obliged to come see me. Regardless of their reasons, it is still shocking and just a teeny bit heart-warming.

          But, each one of my visitors has had a certain look in their eyes; apprehension, weariness, pity. And the looks are all too familiar. It is as if my hospitalization and the events that caused it has not only made me have déjà vu, but has caused the whole town to travel back in time.

          Everyone is consoling me and avoiding the topic of my brother just like two years prior, only this time there are a few major differences.

1.     My mom is here. After the accident two years ago, I only saw my mom twice for a whole week before the funeral, and even then she wouldn’t look at me. But, this time she hasn’t left my bedside once, apart from relieving herself or sneaking me snacks from the vending machine. She is waiting on me hand and foot like a normal mother would do in this situation, but she isn’t a normal mother. And she is also filling every bit of silence with mindless chatter; the kind of things I would have loved to hear years ago, but am now feeling prisoner to her incessant talking.

2.     Adam is also here. Apart from the initial check-in, Adam didn’t visit me once during my first hospital stay out of guilt and fear. But, this time -once his wounds healed a bit more- he has snuck into my room every night to sleep and left before the crack of dawn and the nurse’s morning checks.

3.     No one has died.

So all in all, my hospital stay hasn’t been that bad. There is only one thing that is bothering me, or rather, two people. Neither Jenna nor Tanner have visited me in the hospital and I have been locked in here for almost an entire week. Hell, even Ava visited me and attempted to be civil which was uncomfortable for us both.

Now I am getting released tomorrow and they haven’t even showed up once. Not that I blame them at all; Tanner has to be mad at me for avoiding him and for the whole Adam thing and Jenna must be angry at me for dodging her calls. Either way, I could really use as many friends as I can get before the infamous uncle arrives tomorrow and I have separate myself from them so they don’t get suspicious.

Even the thought of seeing that slime ball again makes my stomach turn and my mood plummet. And everyone has noticed the change.

“Got any eights?” Adam’s baritone voice shocks me from my thoughts and I shoot him a confused look before looking down at my cards.

“Go fish.” I try to make my voice come out high pitched and cheery, but it only results in an embarrassing squeak. Adam gives me a funny look and sets his cards down on the rolling table hovering over the hospital bed.

“What’s wrong with you? Are you in pain?” Adam reaches out to stroke my face and I involuntarily flinch at the movement, causing Adam to withdraw his hand and a hurt expression to cross his face.

I still haven’t told him about my uncle coming to town in fear of him doing something stupid and rash. I thoroughly regret confessing to him about my uncle and the scars because if I hadn’t, I could continue my charade and no one would be the wiser or need to get involved. Now once my uncle steps foot into town I don’t think I will be able to stop Adam from doing what I already know he will do.