"Only on the 43rd bottle of beer on the wall"

Adam P.O.V.

      Between Jenna’s squeaky voice belting out Beyoncé, Brock’s non-stop talking, and Molly’s horrible driving; I already hated this road trip.

Annette, Tanner, Brock, Olivia, Connor, Molly, Jenna, and I all squeezed into Molly’s huge van at eight in the morning to make it to the cabin by noon. Molly drove, Brock had taken the front seat, and Jenna insisted on sitting with Annette and Tanner, so I was stuck sandwiched between Olivia and Connor.

I barely knew half of these people and I had somehow gotten dragged into this awful cabin idea.

Okay, that was a lie.

The moment that Annette invited me, I knew I needed to go. She had been toying with me during lunch, and her invite was almost like a dare. And I never turn down a dare. And then the stupid game happened.

I honestly have no idea what came over me. But, just feeling her rose petal lips tango with mine again after two years was unreal. I was like a man in a desert, deprived of water for weeks, and she was an ocean of sweet, sweet ice cold water.

I wasn’t even thinking about the game when I laid my hands on her. All I could concentrate on was the way her lips melded perfectly to mine and how badly I needed to feel her. How badly I needed to make sure it was real; that I was kissing the girl I loved after all these years. But, she obviously had other plans.

The moment that she was getting all snuggly with Tanner, I knew her agenda. She wanted to get me jealous. She wanted to see if I still loved her. It was all just a game to her.

And like hell would I let her win.

So, I had an agenda of my own this trip; make Annette trust me again. I wanted her to open up, to tell me why she left, why she came back, how she got her scars- I wanted to know everything, because the guilt was eating away at me.

But, so far it wasn’t off to a great start.

I couldn’t even talk to her because Jenna wouldn’t stop singing and Connor and Olivia wouldn’t stop leaning over me to talk to each other. Why the hell did they make me sit in the middle anyway?!

By the time the busy streets turned into gravel roads and the people were replaced by trees, I was ready to take someone’s head off. Both Jenna and Tanner were only on the 43rd bottle of beer on the wall and Connor kept telling really corny jokes and I just couldn’t take it. I barely even knew these people.

Luckily for me, I didn’t have to for much longer, because ten minutes later we finally arrived at the cabin.

It was pretty large for an adobe and was tucked in the middle of the forest and just a few minutes away from a lake. The rustic cabin is long and low to the ground with a porch circling the entire lodge.

“Thank god.” I muttered as I hastily clambered out of the van and dashed inside, needing to get away from the annoying bunch. It was getting really hard to keep my cool.

The cabin is even more impressive on the inside. It had everything you would imagine one to have; a massive fireplace, wood walls and flooring, colorful carpets and drapes, and a ton of knick-knacks. The spacious living room connected to the dining room; no T.V. or phones of any kind.

Swinging doors led to the modern kitchen set in wood. And just beyond the main rooms was a long hallway that broke off into all four bedrooms and the three bathrooms. Tanner must be loaded. If I didn’t hate him so much, I would be friends with him just for this cabin.

It was pretty kick-ass and it almost made up for the horrendous car ride.

“Hey, roomie.” Tanner’s arrogant voice called out to me as he slung his arm around my shoulders.