Drifting

Hunter's POV

I can tell the exact moment we started drifting. The moment she tried out for the hockey team. The moment I saw her being athletic and being great at it. Nothing I wanted more in a girl than being as athletic as I am. A girl that is different from the norm. I never used to go to any games at school, but after I saw how effortlessly she was good at it I went to every game under the ruse that I was supporting my bestie.

She however used to be at every single one of my soccer games. Ever since we were young she would never miss a game. The guys were jealous that she would  be over talking and joking with my family. Wearing sweats and looking great.
It was in the championship game that I knew we would start drifting...
That was the day I realized my feelings for her was more than just friendship.

Two years ago
"You won!" She shouted, running up to me and jumping on me. Legs wrapped around my waist as she clung to me. I inhaled her familiar scent. She was my comfort. "Yes, we did and my favorite fan was here for the entire season. Thanks for always being by my side." I say while kissing her on her cheek. "I will always be in your corner ugly," she jokes with me. "Come on, let's go celebrate, but first you need to get home to shower. You stink!" She pulls a face but I know she means well.
How can I tell her how much she means to me, I need to distance myself from her. Hang out with the boys more. I will make up a story and tell her I'm going out with the boys. We can hang out another time.

It was then...that I knew I had to stay away from her, to protect her from me.