Chapter 12: The Story, The Truth, and The Rejection

I was then walked into that same room where I passed out. 

Alexa was talking to some older kids, maybe about 17 to 19, but by the way the conversation was going, Alexa was in charge.

When she saw me, she half-ran, half-walked up to me. “Great! We can actually explain this heiress crud to you!” She pulled a flashlight out of a nearby handbag. 

Leaving me no time to wonder where that came from, she turned off every light in the room and turned on the flashlight, illuminating her face eerily.

“It was a dark and stormy night in March of 2003. A young girl named Blair was in the backseat of a car. Her parents were in the front, driving along a winding road. 

“Suddenly, another car rammed into them. Their car careened off the road into a thick forest. The authorities found no one after weeks of searching, so it was assumed the family was dead.

“But that was a lie. Blair was trying to find her way out, but at 2 or so, it was very hard for her. At 3, she finally found her way out. Her parents were dead. She was alone.

“The child was given a new name and a new past, Visiniri Dakovsha, and sent to a girls home for orphans. She would continue to never know-until a date was arranged. September 9 on her 12th year. 9 years after she was found.” 

On that happy note, Alexa switched off the flash light and all the candles came back on. 

“Any questions?” she asked me. “Nope, I’m good.” I said, still in shock. 

Alexa glanced down at me, a look of concern on her face. “You sure? You look pale. Oh, and you’re trembling.” she sighed. “We expected this would happen. It’s normal, this amount of shock would affect anyone negatively.”

My life is a lie, I thought. It’s all lies. Lies, lies, lies. “Jack.” Alexa snapped, and he came up to me. 

He picked me up effortlessly-“God, you’re really light.” is what he said-and put me on that bed again. 

He gave me a trash bin filled with newspaper. “What do I need this-“ My own question was interrupted by bile rising up in my throat.

This happened for a good few minutes, at least. Jack just turned around, not looking.

After I was done, he remarked,

“We call this reaction ‘shock rejection.’ It’s usually when people receive news of great intent. Though I suppose no one has gotten info of that magnitude.” 

I glared. “No smirking allowed, you meanie.”

He grinned like a Cheshire cat. “Just keeping things real.”

Even I had to laugh at that one.