BONUS 27

Danielle groans, her head is killing her. That damn diabetes has struck again. How long has it been since she ate? She's lost track of time. The last thing she remembers is the warehouse and killing her aunt. Oh yes, Jeremy shooting her. But then she doesn't feel any pain from a bullet striking her.

"You're awake finally," the man's voice is full of relief. A voice of someone she never expected to hear again. It's enough for her to open her eyes in shock.

"Trevor," Danielle whispers.

Trevor comes into her view smiling at her. He sets down a covered tray. The smell of the food nearly overwhelming her. Her stomach growls demanding sustenance.

Trevor is unable to hide his smile, "Eat, the doctor took out the IV, but he wasn't happy about it, he'll have my head if he has to put another in because you let your blood sugar get too low again."

Danielle looks at him in confusion even as he helps her sit up so that she can eat. "How am I alive? Jeremy had me dead to rights and I didn't even try to move. There's no way he could have missed that shot."

Trevor arranges pillows to help support her before he answers her questions. He's angry and his lips are thinned down in anger. "I got there just as you killed your aunt. I saw Jeremy raise his gun and fired just before he did. My bullet hitting him threw his aim off just enough that the bullet hit some wood off to your side. A good sized chunk for some reason flew off and hit you, knocking you out."

"Ah, that explains the killer headache then. Jeremy?" Danielle is rather sad, she liked Jeremy.

"It came down to him or you, Danielle, I chose you. But the money for killing Cockroach is paid out to him, he just died of his wounds in going against you." Trevor says sitting next to her and making sure that she eats the food he brought to her.

"Trevor, Cockroach being dead isn't going to change anything. Too many people know who I am, I have to disappear."

Trevor shakes his head, "No. Danielle you don't have to run anymore."

Danielle finishes the bite she just took and is unable to eat any more. "Trevor, I loved your father more than I can say and it killed him."

"Danielle, don't please. I know you loved him and I've never seen him happier than when he was married to you. But he's gone now and he wouldn't want you to hide and fade away." Trevor takes out a well worn envelope and hands it to Danielle. "Read what he wrote to me, Danielle. We'll talk after you read this."

Danielle reluctantly takes the envelope and takes out the letter inside. It too, she notes, is well worn especially along the fold lines. She also notes that there are tear marks from previous readings. She reads the letter and sets it down in shock when she's done. "You set the contract?"

"Yes."

"Have you paid it out?" Danielle demands of Trevor, anger making her hands shake as she rests them on her lap.

"No one will touch it. No takers since I placed it the day of my fathers funeral."

"How much are you offering?" Danielle asks professional curiosity piqued.

"One million," Trevor says hope only starting to tinge his voice.

"He's not that hard to get too, a million should get several takers, what's the catch?" Danielle demands.

"Will you take the job?" Trevor asks hope becoming stronger. Danielle is the best in the business now.

"What's the catch?" Danielle reiterates becoming a little annoyed at his lack of response.

Trevor shakes his head, "I don't know why others won't take the job. I fully expected to do the payout within a month of the contract."

"When can I get out of here?" Danielle demands.

"When can you stand up?" Trevor retorts, but with a smile. "Does that mean you'll take the job?"

"Yes," Danielle replies absently already planning how she's going to kill that bastard.

"Danielle, after you kill him, will you come back?" Trevor doesn't like how much of his emotions are in that question nor does he like how much her answer means to him.

"Trevor, nothing has changed. This is the reason why your father is dead-I don't want to be the reason you are killed too, it would kill me." Danielle wipes angrily at the tears that insist on falling.

"I want you to work for me full time, Danielle, not as the Cockroach but as you." Trevor is pleased that he's able to get such a reaction as her shock. "Think about it will you?" Not wanting to press his luck he bends over and gives her a kiss before taking the forgotten tray and leaving the room.

A few days later there is news of a huge explosion that killed the man that was Max's biggest rival. The man that hosted the party the night of Max's death.

"As you requested, the money was transferred into your account, Danielle." Trevor states as Danielle comes into his study and sits down. "Have you thought of my offer?"

"Of working for you as your assassin?" Danielle wants to make sure they are talking about the same thing. At Trevor's nod, "I'm not sure that I can stay in one place that long. There's still the chance that Jeremy told other's that I was the Cockroach."

Trevor shakes his head. "The payout was made after it was verified that Cockroach was dead. And she is. I'll understand if you don't wish to continue in this line of work, but..."

"Trevor, are you doing this just because your father suggested it?" That's what had shocked her the most, Max had suggested Trevor marry her. That the man she killed was working with her aunt didn't shock her all that much.

"No. Part of the reason I chased you so diligently was because the idea was far too easy for me to want. When I first read that I was shocked and angry, but after you left I realized that I was already well on my way for loving you. You seduced my father and even though I was on my guard and looked for reasons to hate you, all I could find were reasons to love you. I think that's why I was so angry when I found out who you were.

"I know that you have no reason to believe me, but I love you, Danielle and want to marry you."

"I can't give you kids, Trevor. You would do better looking for a woman that can give you everything." Danielle refuses to look at Trevor and gets up to walk over to the window. She looks out at the garden that she used to walk in with Max. She wipes away the tears that fall angrily.

"I don't need kids, I have an excellent second that can take over after I retire and I think I'll sell the business so I can spend more time with you." Trevor says standing behind her and nuzzling her neck.

"Marry me, please?" Trevor says and Danielle turns around in his arms and finds the laser sight on Trevor and pushes him to the side even as the bullet breaks the glass.

Trevor sits up stunned but Danielle is already up and out of the room. Soon the study fills with men and Trevor gives them orders. They scatter to fulfill his orders.

Hours pass and one by one they return, but still no word on Danielle or the unknown shooter.

Night falls and Trevor waits silently for Danielle to return.

"I accept, when do you want the wedding?" Danielle says and Trevor smiles.