1

"Danielle? What's wrong?" the gentleman asks the softly sobbing woman.

The woman tenses, and when she sees who it is she relaxes. "Mr. Williams, sir, I thought you had left already." 

The man goes over to the crying woman and kneels in front of her. He's about twenty-five years older than her, but still extremely good looking. "I did, but I forgot something here at the office that I needed. Now, why don't you tell me why you are sitting here in the dark and crying?"

Danielle can't hold it in any longer. Her family was gone and she doesn't have any close friends, she can't hold the secret in any longer. "A little over a month ago I was invited to a party. I really didn't want to go, the party scene isn't one I like, but I've been trying to make some friends so I went. Someone handed me a drink and out of nervousness I drank. That was the last thing I remember of that night.

"I woke up the next day naked in a hotel room. I was sore where I've never been sore before." Her words make the man angry.

"You were date raped?" The man demands.

Danielle in misery nods. She's too ashamed to look at the man in front of her. "I took myself to the hospital and they took samples. They said that it was more than one person too." Danielle couldn't look at the man in front of her and so missed the horrified and sick look that passes over his face.

"Were you a virgin before?" He asks far more gently than his countenance would show.

Danielle can't even speak now and just nods. The man gently pulls her into his arms and holds her. Danielle can't hold back and she starts sobbing in earnest. After some time she manages to pull back, there's more. "I found out today that I'm pregnant."

The words make the man close his eyes in pain for her.

"I don't believe in abortion. The baby did nothing wrong, just the asshole sperm donor. Now, I don't know what to do. I just don't have the money to take care of a child. I can just barely make ends meet. I don't have medical insurance that will cover enough to have proper health care for the baby. I just..." Danielle bursts into tears once more.

Max Williams has always liked the serious young woman. The fact that she didn't do the party scene for someone her age is one of the reason's he liked her. She's quiet, but smart. She's beautiful but innocent. He doesn't want that to be ruined so he does something he'd never thought he'd do again.

"Danielle, marry me and let me take care of you and your baby. You can either keep it or give it up for adoption, but whatever you decide I'll be by your side and support you."

Danielle looks at him beyond shocked. She's always liked her boss, Max Williams, but doesn't want to take advantage of him like that. "You have a family, sir. You're son is only a couple of years older than me, I can't do that to him or you. It isn't fair to either of you."

Max grits his teeth, he and his son, Trevor, haven't seen eye to eye lately. "Trevor is a big boy and doesn't need me or this company to survive. I'm a big boy too, and I'd like some companionship. I won't force anything on you that you don't want. But I would hope that in time you'd feel like we could be a couple in all things." Now it's Max's turn to look down as Danielle looks at him beyond shocked.

"I guess that it's too much for you. I am after all considerably older. Just know that if you ever need anything-"

"Are you serious? About the marriage offer I mean?" Danielle was taught to never interrupt, but her brain is only now starting to catch up to what is being said.

Max takes her hands in his and looks her straight in the eyes, "I am serious. I wouldn't joke about something like that. I've been alone for a long time now and find that the idea of coming home to a beautiful, sweet woman well, that sounds like something I would really like to do." Max hasn't really dated or gone out since his wife died more than ten years ago.

"There's more than enough room in my house for you to have your own room if that's what you'd prefer." Max gently wipes her tears away and hands her some tissue.

Danielle inelegantly blows her nose.

Danielle takes this time to think about his offer. She had refused it automatically because to be honest Trevor scares the hell out of her. "Your son won't approve. I think he already hates me." Danielle says whisper soft.

"Trevor thinks entirely too much of himself. He's decided that he knows better than me and wants nothing to do with me. He won't be bothering you, Danielle. That much I promise."

Max continues, "I know this isn't what you likely wanted. Most young girls want someone they are in love with. There will be many that will say unkind things about you, call you a gold digger, bitch, perhaps even whore, so I understand if you don't want to take my offer."

Danielle snorts in spite of herself. "I've been called whore and bitch for years although there's never been any reason for it. Never been called a gold digger before, mostly because I haven't dated anyone with money. But  being called names doesn't bother me.

"Just promise me, that you won't do anything that you'll regret with me." Danielle means like leave her all his money and the company and cut his son out completely. 

Max smiles gently and nods, "I promise you that."

Then Danielle takes a deep breath, "Then I'll marry you."

Max pulls her to him, careful to not force her and gives her a hug. "We can get the marriage license whenever you feel you're ready. We'll move you into my house tomorrow, if that's okay with you?"

Danielle both blushes then turns white at the idea of living with him. "Can we get married before I move in? I know that it may sound foolish, but I'm not comfortable living with a man  before marriage."

"It's not foolish, make sure you give your landlord notice tomorrow. When would you like to get married?" Max says gently, doing his best to make her feel comfortable about this.

"I've never wanted a lavish wedding. We could just get married with a justice and I'd be okay, so whenever that could be arranged." Danielle trails off. Things are happening so quickly and she doesn't know what to do now.

"If that's what you'd like, than so be it. Tomorrow I have that meeting in the morning. After that clear my schedule and we'll go down to get our marriage license and see about having a judge marry us. I know one or two that owe me a favor," Max says giving her a wink.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Danielle says searching his face.

Max looks at her just as searchingly as she had him, "Yes. I know that I'm considerably older than you, but I promise to do my  best to make you happy." Then he leans in and gives Danielle a kiss.

Danielle hasn't had much experience with boys or kissing and finds herself thoroughly enjoying his kiss. She even finds herself responding enthusiastically back.

"Come home with me tonight?" Max says, he's shocked at how much he responds to her. "Let me show you how your first time should have been?"

Danielle bites her lip in indecision then nods. She liked that kiss and wants more. They both gather their things and Max escorts Danielle out. "We'll stop by your place and pick up some clothes for tomorrow." Max says and Danielle nods.