18

Danielle watches Cameron trying to decide if she just screwed everything up. He's far more wary of her now. She shrugs to herself, when she feels better then she'll do it the hard way. Damn that Trevor.

"The one that beat you, family you said." Cameron states and looks up at Danielle. "Is he part of the mafia in another city?"

"I can't tell you that. I've told you too much about me already. I'm going to have to leave again."

Her words shouldn't bring a panic to him, but they do. "Don't leave, DW. Let me help you."

Danielle doesn't have time for the games he is used to playing. "Look, I've been a target for a long time. My husband was killed because I forgot about being a target and fell in love. The one thing I regret most in my life and I'll never forgive myself for it. 

"Me being a target has killed everyone single person that I've ever loved. My parents, grandparents, husband. It has gotten dozens of innocents killed. It almost got two other mafia leaders killed recently. I won't stick around and make you a target as well.

"I don't think they've found me yet." That last bit she said without meaning to.

"Who is after you DW? Let me help." Cameron is almost mad in the need to help her.

Danielle looks at him intently, she speaks slowly not sure if she can truly trust Cameron. "If you honestly want to help me there is something you can do."

"What is it?"

"I believe you have a clue as to the whereabouts and identity of the one or ones after me. I don't know who or why, but I'm done running and they will be sorry once I find them. They will wish that they never fucked with me." Danielle's voice is cold and hard and in that moment Cameron is happy to not be on the receiving end of her anger.

"What can I do? I don't have any idea of what you need." Cameron says softly.

"You don't need to be afraid of me, as long as you don't get in my way. Like some have." Just thinking about Trevor makes her anger soar.

"I won't, but what information do you need?"

Danielle looks at him and smiles. "I need access to your files. I won't use anything I find except what deals directly with me. Can you trust me with that?"

"If I don't?"

Danielle smiles, "Then I do it the hard way, but I will get the information I need from you. I'd prefer to do it the easy way. That way at least we might be friends."

"Will there ever be a chance for more than that?" Cameron asks softly. Not sure which answer he wants her to give him. He's become absolutely terrified of her.

"I don't think so. If you knew who I really was you'd try to kill me."

Cameron takes out his gun and aims it at her. "So what's to stop me?"

Danielle smiles even wider. "The fact that even if you kill me, you'll be just as dead." Cameron hears the release of the safety on her gun and swallows. He slowly sets his gun down and raises his hands in surrender.

Danielle takes his gun and demands, "The other one as well. I'm not going to want to worry about a bullet in my back."

Cameron takes out his backup and carefully sets it on the table.

"Okay lover boy let's go." Danielle makes sure that she has a good shot even as she stands up. Cameron is starting to sweat. "Relax, Cameron. You haven't done anything irredeemable yet. I saved the life of the asshole and got repaid by having the shit beat out of me and I let him live."

Cameron relaxes slightly, he's careful to not make any moves that would make his men try to help him though. 

"Very smart Cameron. I hope that we both can get out of this intact, but it'll be up to you." By now they are in his car.

"Take me to my apartment." Cameron nods his head to show that he understands.

They pull up to her place and she steps out of the car. "Here's where you have to make your choice. You can try to kill me, have your men try to kill me or you can help me. I'll be done with what I need to do in just a few minutes. Don't wait for me."

Danielle leaves and Cameron doesn't hesitate. He immediately reverses out of the parking spot he'd pulled into and leaves as well. As soon as he gets around the corner he goes to get his spare gun from its hiding place in the car, but it's gone. 

In that moment he knows that he's severely underestimated DW. He wonders just who the hell she is and why the hell there's a contract out on her.

He goes back to his home. He has no doubt that she will be coming back here. This time he has no intentions of underestimating her.

Hours later and she still hasn't come. Cameron paces. He's on edge and unable to relax. He jumps at every little sound. Yet still he's unprepared for the gun that's pointed straight at him.

"You should have let well enough alone, Cameron. By doing this you are declaring yourself my enemy."

"I can't, DW. I know which files you want. If I just let you look at them and not try to stop you I'll be killed. You at least will make things a lot less painful."

Danielle looks at him consideringly. "If you don't kill me you will be a target anyway. If you do kill me you'll be a target, just by someone else. Maybe, depends on how much he loves his father."

"What the hell are you talking about?" Cameron is too tightly wound to enjoy the games now.

"My husband that was killed? Max Williams. The man that gave me these love taps," She gestures to the bruising, "his son, Trevor Williams. He should have it figured out where I am by now. His hacker is pretty decent. The man never did learn."

Danielle's words just make Cameron turn whiter and sicker. "He might bring Jeremiah with him. I left there rather abruptly and didn't say a proper goodbye to him."

"Shit, DW, just who the fuck are you?"

"If I told you then I really would have to kill you and I don't want to do that to you. You are just in my way. But you aren't in my way sufficiently for me to kill you. Trevor, maybe, but not you." With that she puts on a gas mask and releases the pin from the grenade she has in her hand.

Smoky gas fills the room. Cameron does his best to not breath it in, but his body demands oxygen. "Sorry, Cameron. I wish it didn't have to be this way."

It doesn't take Danielle long to find the files that she needs. Once she finds them she, with regret, sets a virus among his files. Soon all his files are corrupted. She's doing the best that she can to protect Cameron, but it won't be much. She just hopes that he doesn't die from the gas. If he's sick enough then that should protect him from her enemy.

"Good luck, Cameron." Danielle says as she takes off her gas mask and leaves the study.

Once she's far enough away she activates the alarm for the study. That will hopefully get him the help he needs before he dies.