5

Trevor watches Danielle closely. She has been withdrawn, almost wraith like since his father's death. Today is the funeral. Danielle had requested that he help with it. She said that although she loved Max that she didn't know him as well as Trevor did. So he helped her.

He's at her side as they lower the casket into the ground. He has no doubts that she is devastated by the loss of Max. He has to hold her upright to keep her from falling down as people come up to them and give them their condolences.

He doesn't like how white she's gotten. "When was the last time you've eaten?" He demands as they head back to the cars that will take them to the luncheon waiting for them at his father's now Danielle's home.

Danielle looks at him or rather through him blankly. "I don't know. I'm not hungry."

"Shit, Danielle, father wouldn't want you to die because of him. You need to take better care of yourself." 

Trevor makes sure that she's private as he takes her blood sugar. "Dammit. Stay here and I'll bring you some food." Danielle doesn't even look at him. She just stares off into space.

Trevor quickly fills her plate up with food and hopes that she'll eat something or he'll have to have her hospitalized once more.

"It would have been better had I died and Max lived." Trevor can't believe that Danielle is saying that.

"Danielle, it would have killed my father if he had lived and you died."

"The lawyer wants to talk to us." Danielle looks at him. "I don't want anything. I don't care what Max left me, it's all yours. I got in your way."

Trevor is shocked. He does't know what to say. That's definitely not what he expected to hear.

"He'll be here shortly. I'll arrange to move out as soon as possible. I won't be in your way anymore."

Before Trevor can get his mouth closed and his brain functioning the lawyer comes in. He does notice that Danielle is picking at the food and is relieved that she's at least trying to eat something.

"Good, Trevor you're here as well. Take a seat next to Mrs. Williams if you would." The lawyer invites as he sits across from them.

"This will was made just a week before the accident. Mr. Max Williams signed it just two days before his death. This is his last will and testament." The lawyer takes his time taking out the document.

"Trevor, the bulk of the estate and the business will go to Mrs. Danielle Williams. Should she however, wish to she can sell it to you. Your father did this so that she would have sufficient money to live comfortably for the rest of her life.

"There is a rather large trust set aside for you that is yours as soon as you sign this paper and the will is probated."

Trevor is white with shock.

"NO!" The silence of the room is broken by that one word. "I challenge the will."

Both men look at Danielle in shock. "You want even his trust?" The lawyer asks confusion evident. He'd met Danielle before and didn't think she was like that.

"No, I don't want any of it. This is Trevor's inheritance, I have no right to it. I was with Max less than a year. I will only take the gifts he gave me and the memory of his love. Everything else is to go to Trevor. I won't touch it and I have no way to deal with the company. Should I take it over it will go bankrupt in little time.

"That is no way to honor Max's memory. Trevor is an excellent businessman and will properly take care of the business.

"I will be out of the house by the end of the week, Trevor. At that time it will be yours to do with as you wish."

Both men stare at her incredulously. There is no way in hell that Danielle would give away a multi-million dollar company or a house that is worth over a million dollars.

"Mrs. Williams, please, this is Max's last wish for you." The lawyer pleads with her.

"No. If there was one thing that irritated me about Max it was that he didn't listen when I told him that I didn't want things. All I ever wanted was his love. He gave that to me up until the day he died. I don't want this. Cancel the credit cards.

"He was very generous and I have money that I'll be able to live off of until I can find a job. The life insurance will be split between Trevor and myself only if you insist on it, otherwise Trevor should have it all.

"If you need me to sign anything to make the transfer to Trevor final I will. Otherwise, I have nothing more to say." Danielle says and gets up.

She leaves the room in silence that isn't broken for some time.

"Well, I must say that was unexpected." The lawyer finally finds his voice. "I'll have the transfer papers drawn up and sent to your lawyer as soon as it is possible. I've never seen anyone turn down such a sizable inheritance before."

Trevor can't find his voice. He merely nods his agreement to the lawyer. He stands when the lawyer stands.

They shake hands before the lawyer leaves the study. The lawyer hesitates, "I almost forgot. Your father wanted me to give this to you." He hands Trevor a sealed envelope. "I have no idea what the contents are. Just to let you know, I didn't approve of him giving the entire estate and business to Mrs. Williams, but he overrode me."

"I'm sure you did your best. My father is a or rather was a very headstrong man." Trevor says as he sees the lawyer out. He's torn between reading whatever his father left him and finding Danielle.

Reading the letter wins. He can find Danielle afterwards.

As he reads tears fall. His father was worried that someone was after Danielle. His father is dead because of Danielle.  The more he reads the more incredulous he becomes. It's just not possible.

By the time he's finished he no longer wants to see Danielle. He can't face going back to deal with the guests either. He slips out of the house. As he leaves he takes his phone out and makes a call.

"I need a contract out on..."