15

Danielle groans as she touches her head. Damn, it feels like the worst hangover she's ever had. Then memories come crashing back. She didn't have any alcohol. She was at the club and she didn't eat in time.

"Careful, you have a nasty knot on your head right there. Sorry I wasn't able to catch you before you hit your head." Danielle turns her head and finds Christian sitting at her bedside.

Bedside? Where the hell is she? Either she said that out loud or he can read minds because he answers, "You are at my place. I had my doctor come and look at you. Are you diabetic or hypoglycemic?"

"What the hell are you talking about?" Danielle can't think with this pain pounding away at her.

"You're blood sugar was really low. Are you diabetic or hypoglycemic?"

"I was told I was diabetic, I don't even know what hypoglycemic means." She does, but she's back to playing a part. This hadn't been part of the plan, but she can work with it. It might actually work better this way.

"Are you ready to sit up?" Christian asks solicitously.

Danielle tries to sit up herself and falls back in pain. She can't help the groan that comes out. Trevor had done a real number on her torso. Some of the bruises are deep and still very painful. Before she can stop him Cameron lifts her top up and takes a look at the bruising on her.

She isn't prepared for the anger that he shows. "Who did this to you?"

"Someone that has far more reason than just being angry at my attitude. Don't worry he's out of my life for good." At least Danielle hopes so. She would really hate to hurt him and she's not sure that she wouldn't if she ever sees him again.

Cameron hesitates her top still raised, "What do you mean?"

"I mean that I'll never see him again if we're both lucky."

Now the man is amused by her answer. "You sound as if you think he's lucky if he never sees you again."

"That's exactly what I mean. There's been enough pain to last us both a lifetime and then some. I have no intentions of ever going near him and if he's smart he'll stay away from me as well."

"You sure have attitude for some one that's had the shit beat out of them."

"At the time I was rather tied up and couldn't defend myself properly. If we ever meet again that won't be the case."

This intrigues Cameron more than anything else she's said or done.

Cameron lightly caresses her face. "You are a feisty one aren't you? I still don't know your name."

Danielle gives him a tight smile. "DW."

"DW? What do the letters stand for?" Cameron gives her a brilliant smile. She has no doubt that that smile has won the hearts of many a female and possibly even some males.

"Sorry, Cameron, but that's all you get from me." Danielle says and leans back against the propped up pillows and closes her eyes in pain. "Would it be too much trouble for you to call a taxi for me? I'll be out of your hair in no time."

"I'll do no such thing." Cameron's voice is cold and hard. He's more than a little angry at the situation. He doubts that she will be very receptive to his advances after being beaten by another man. He also finds himself angry on her behalf for having been beaten. He wishes that she would confide in him so that he could kill the bastard that hurt her like that.

Danielle looks at him non plussed. "Okay, well if you could hand me my phone I'll call one for myself."

"Forgive me DW, but I meant that I wouldn't dream of letting you leave when you need help. I insist that you stay the night with me."

Danielle gives him a long cold stare. "I'm not in the habit of sleeping with strangers. Call me a cab or give me my damn phone."

Cameron slaps his hands over his face. "I can't seem to do things right with you. You will stay as my guest in this room. My room is across the hall and down a couple of doors. I have some clothes here for you to change into for the night. There is a bathroom behind that door over there. Tomorrow I'll give you a ride to your place."

Danielle just looks at him flatly. "I swear, DW, that there will be nothing more than what we've already done. I will get you anything you need then retire to my own room for the night."

"I need this damn IV out so that I can change clothes and some pain killers." Danielle finally says into the lengthening silence.

"As soon as the IV finishes then my doctor will remove the IV for the night." Cameron says smoothly.

Cameron watches as tears come into her eyes. He wants to wipe them away, "Have I done or said something wrong?"

Danielle's reply is overly terse. "No."

"Oh, that's right. I'll be right back with some pain pills."

Danielle doesn't say anything and just lies back against the pillows and closes her eyes. She's in his home, if she can get the chance she's sure that she'll find the information she needs.

Cameron comes back in shortly and gives her a bottle of pain relief medicine. After opening the bottle for her he lets her take out how many pills she wants to take. Then he hands her the water and sets the bottle of medicine at her bedside.

Danielle pops the medicine in and swallows it down with the water. She needs the medicine for more than just her head. Her ribs are really starting to hurt.

They sit in silence as they wait for the IV to finish and the medicine to take effect.

Soon the annoying alarm of the machine starts sounding and a man comes in. He turns off the machine and quickly takes out the IV. He makes sure that she has everything she needs including answers before leaving the room.

"Do you need any help changing?" There's a hopeful note in Cameron's voice. Danielle gives him a dirty look.

"Okay, okay. I get it, you're not interested. At least not yet," Cameron hands her the clothes and helps her up. When she isn't too steady on her feet he helps her to the bathroom and leaves.

Cameron waits for her to finish then helps her back to the bed. Then like he promised he leaves the room for the night.