XLIX: Nostalgia

QOTC

You know why people don't let other people know their secrets? Because reality is dirty. You let your secret fall on the wrong hands, those hands will crush you.

- Kisame 

**************************************************************************

Chapter 49: The Rivals are Back 

*P L A Y  RAIN SOUND EFFECTS*

THE VILLAGE HIDDEN IN THE RAIN, TWO YEARS AGO

Splashes of cold water showered Amegakure even at the inside of their hideout. As Pein raises a palm to the air, there was water pouring from the ceiling. The Akatsuki slept for the rest of the day, their bodies scattered on different parts of his house. Deidara was asleep on a dining table, Hidan was snoring at the couch, Kisame was in a bathtub with his feet nearly folded, while Kakuzu, Sasori and the others stayed awake like creatures whose eyes glowed mysteriously in the dark.

It wasn't an easy task leading the Rain village. To Pein, it brought him a lot of redundant memories from the past--Yahiko's screams, Konan's tears. But it was the way of the Akatsuki. If one dies, the Akatsuki cremates its body to give them a proper burial. They couldn't afford to let their information be leaked.

He sat at his office, patiently waiting for Konan.

Itachi was the only one in bed. He'd allowed him drowse and be in peace like an ordinary boy. He slept, just like that. He was Pein's favorite. He was reserved all the times and knew when to open his mouth for more valid reasons, unlike the others who never ceased to give him a morbid headache.

An image of Itachi's raven smeared in his head. He was sick, after all. It was uncommon for him to have a member be a burden and carry a disease, but Zetsu discovered he'd been unhealthy since he joined the organization. He was alone, carrying the burden of his family, though he thought at first murdering his clan was the greatest of his experience, it turned out it was for love.

What a good thing it was, he thought, to die for somebody. A devoted member was rare to his organization, atleast. When Yahiko built the 'Dawn', their ultimate goal was to free the crippled, make ties and peace of all the lands, and when he died, the Akatsuki was lost. He was forced to shadow it, in memory of a dying partner, and it weren't for Konan he would have committed suicide.

Itachi coughed at his room like a terrible untreated old man. Pein could still hear it, even the others, who looked as if a tornado had disrupted them. It appears the Uchiha was in an earlier stage of heart cancer, and hiding on esoretic hideouts was no help for him. He needed a doctor, if possible he needed a best treatment from a medic that must originate from Konoha. Surely Tsunade could spare a few.

The double-doors bursted open.

"Pein! Where is Itachi?"

A soaked Konan came in, her rose beautifully clipped in her hair. Until now, a couple of years Nagato had been with her, he could still remember how she'd placed it neatly in her head like a crown. She was like a butterfly sometimes; she liked to stay close with an abundance of flowers epsecially roses.