Chapter Forty-Two: Court

"Chris...I'm scared." I said, standing in the mirror and trembling as I stared at my reflection. The days since my graduation had flashed by in a blur, and now I was getting ready to leave for the courthouse in less than an hour. 

"Shh...you'll be fine. That bastard will get what he deserves." Chris said reassuringly. He stood behind me with his arms wrapped around my waist and his chin resting on my shoulder as he held me against his chest. I think it was meant to calm me down, but it wasn't working that well. 

"I'm still nervous about standing in front of all those people." I said nervously as my hands shook. 

"We've gone over this before. It'll just be the judge, a few security guards, and Blake and his lawyer. There'll be a few people in the back that you won't even notice. Okay?" he asked, rubbing my shoulders gently in an attempt to get me to relax. Not that it worked. 

"Okay." I said taking a deep breath as I shivered slightly. "I'd feel a lot better if you were there." I said for about the fifteenth time in the past twenty minnutes. He kissed my cheek. 

"I know, but since I'm a witness I can't be there at the same time as you. But I'll be in the waiting room okay?" I nodded and hugged him tightly. He was wearing one of his suits. It was white with a black tie, and he was wearing his glasses again. I shook away the nervousness and giggled. 

"You look like a teacher again." I said, lightly tapping his glasses. He smirked a little. 

"Well, I couldn't let the suits go to waste." he said with a shrug, as if this whole thing was a joke. And, for the moment, I wanted to pretend like it was. I needed to pretend like it was a joke. It made me feel better; more comfortable, and less stressed. 

***

"Ready to go?" Chris asked as he grabbed the keys and gave me a quizzical gaze. I took another deep breath and nodded slowly. 

"Let's just get it over with." I mumbled as he gave me a quick kiss on the forehead before leading us outside to his car. He opened the passenger door and I got in, staring straight ahead and reminding myself that I had nothing to be scared of. It wasn't my fault. I hadn't done anything at all. Blake had. And now Blake was going to pay. I held Chris' hand tightly the whole way there, taking a few occasional deep breaths along the way. 

When we pulled up to the courthouse, I wasn't ready. I stared at it and felt Chris squeeze my hand gently but reassuringly. He reminded me that it'd be okay, and for some reason, hearing him repeat that over and over again was starting to make me feel calmer. Logic was worming its way into my brain, replacing my unnecessary self-consciousness, guilt, and worry. I didn't even have a clue where the unneeded emotions stemmed from, but when I was close to Chris he kept them at bay. Briefly. 

We both got out of his car, and when we got inside the building, it was much larger than I expected. Or maybe it was just my nerves making it look bigger. I glanced around for Blake, but I knew I wouldn't see him out here. Definitely not. I'd only see him once we got into the courtroom. Or rather, once got into the courtroom. Without Chris. All alone. I gulped. 

***

We waited for an insane amount of time. I wished it would just start already so I could get it over with and let it be a distant memory. I'd be eager to forget it, I was sure of that. Finally, after what seemed like forever, a young woman in a black skirt and a white, proffessional looking top opened the door. 

"Alana Simmons." she called. I slowly got up. Chris was the only other person in the room, and he quickly pecked my lips in reassurance before I turned and followed the lady out of the room. She led me to a set of double doors, which opened to another set of double doors. Those opened into a courtroom. I glanced around and my heart skipped a beat when my gaze landed on Blake. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he looked...good. His dark hair hung just above his eyes, but he glared at me in anger. He was dressed in a dark suit, but he looked like he'd rather be anywhere else on earth rather than here. I couldn't blame him, but I reminded myself that he deserved this. It was his fault and he deserved it hands down. No questions asked.