Chapter Twenty-Five: Help

ALANA POV

I walked into third period and ignored the curious stares from my classmates, taking my seat and thinking about how much I didn't want to run into Blake. I checked my phone every few minutes, hoping maybe Chris would text me, or call me, anything. But he didn't. I sighed and gave up, remembering when I used to go to his classroom right after third period. Now I was forced to go to gym. A month wasn't that long... Right? But it would be long if I couldn't spend it with Chris... And what's worse was, he seemed to be pushing me away more and more. Why? Was it something I did? Had he found out about Blake? My hands curled into fists. Had Blake told him?! I clenched my jaw. I hoped not. But if Blake HAD told him, the pieces still didn't add up. There was no way Chris would easily believe Blake like that. He would come to me for confirmation... Wouldn't he? I thought he would...

***

I went through gym class with my thoughts elsewhere. I couldn't help worrying for the whole period, or thinking about the different possible scenarios in which Chris would get mad at me because of his conversation with Blake. I was determined to somehow avoid Blake for the day, hoping to put off any type of communication with him for as long as I could. When the bell rang I realized it was lunch time, but I didn't want to go to the cafeteria. Blake would be there, and I really didn't want him to see me. If I was lucky, he didn't know I was in school yet. That meant I could go to Chris' classroom without raising suspicion, since he wasn't aware I was even here. I quickly went into the locker room and changed, grabbing my books and walking into the hallway, turning the corner that would lead me to Chris' classroom.

I felt like I would have a heart attack at every corner, worried that I'd run into Blake, but luckily there was no sign of him. I finally found Chris' door and opened it, slipping inside and shutting it behind me like I usually did. He looked up when I walked in, and I saw his hands clench into fists, causing my heart to skip a beat. Was he still mad at me?

"What are you doing here?" He asked gruffly, his eyes meeting mine and making me step back in shock. They were filled with anger and...hate, an emotion I never thought I'd see from him. But beneath that I saw pain, hurt, loss. What was going on with him?

"I just came to see you... You haven't been answering my calls and I needed to talk to you." I stated, hoping he'd understand. He sighed.

"We have nothing to talk about." He said firmly.

"How could you know that? I have to tell you something!" I said, throwing my hands up in exasperation.

"For your information I already know what you were planning to tell me. And I don't appreciate it." He growled, standing up and walking past me. He paused for a minute when he reached my side, glancing at me briefly before continuing over to the door. "I have somewhere else to be before sixth period, so unless you need help regarding math, I suggest you go to the cafeteria with everyone else." He muttered, opening the door and leaving. I stood there for a minute with hurt reflected on my face, my mouth hung open in shock. What was wrong with him? What had he been talking about? I felt a few tears running down my face from his obvious rejection, but I quickly sniffled and wiped them away before hurrying out of his classroom. I ran down the hallway, making my way to the cafeteria, my vision still blurry with tears.

I finally made it to the cafeteria and I walked inside with my head low, trying not to let my tears be seen.

"Alana!" I heard a voice shout. I looked in the direction of the voice and saw Blake waving me over, but his eyes widened when he saw my tears. I slowly walked over and sat next to him at the table, feeling him lean down to whisper in my ear.

"Why are you crying?" He asked softly. I just shook my head and I froze when I felt him slip his arm around my shoulders. I was too weak to shake him off at the moment, and I felt him pull me into his chest and try to comfort me. I struggled to escape, but he held me tighter and I eventually gave up. This was what I had been afraid of. I never wanted him to comfort me. That's why I hadn't cried in front of him last night.