Chapter Twenty-Two: Betrayal

ALANA POV

As soon as the bell rang to start seventh period, my phone buzzed. I pulled it out to see that it was from Chris.

"I'm busy after school today. I'm really sorry Lana :( maybe we can do something another day. I love you <3"

I frowned and then typed back.

"Okay. I love you too."

I put my phone back in my pocket and then the door opened as if on cue. Blake walked in with a smirk on his face, and I frowned. Had he done something? I thought Chris was going to interrogate him, or punish him or give him detention or something! So why was he smiling? He walked over to me and slid into the seat beside me, pecking me on the cheek. I fought the urge to wipe away the disgusting kiss he had planted on my cheek, but I just ignored it.

"Hey." He greeted warmly.

"Hi." I muttered very unenthusiastically.

"Do you maybe wanna go out tonight after school?" He asked. I looked at him like he was insane.

"Are you crazy? I thought I was only putting up this façade in school!" I whispered loudly. He shrugged.

"Rules can be tweaked." He informed me.

"Then that means I should be able to tweak-"

"Ah, but only by the person who initiated the deal in the first place." He said with a wink. I just glared at him and then sighed.

"Fine, what time?" I asked in a bored tone.

"Hmm... Around 4. Is that good?" He asked.

"Sure. Where are we going?" I asked, still dreading this so-called date. I despised him more than ever right now.

"It's a surprise. You don't have to dress fancy though. What you're wearing now should be fine." He informed me. Well, at least he didn't plan on taking me anywhere extravagant. I guess that made me feel a little better, but not by much.

CHRIS POV

I sat at my desk, running my hands through my hair repeatedly, completely stressed out. I didn't know what I had gotten myself into. Now I couldn't even see Alana after school, or I'm sure that idiotic dumbass would find some way to track us and find out that I had broke his stupid little deal. I glanced at the calendar on the wall. It was May first. School was out on June fourteenth. Just about a month to go... Could I really stay away from Alana for that long? Was it even possible? I shook angrily as I clenched my hands into fists. I needed to talk to her after school to make sure she understood that I wasn't doing this on purpose. The tricky part would be making sure Blake wouldn't catch me talking to her, or he'd instantly assume I was tipping her off. Then something else resurfaced in my mind. He had told me that she was the one who initiated the deal with him... She had offered to do whatever he wanted her to do! Even after he promised her he wouldn't tell anyway! I growled in frustration. Had she really done that? Blake seemed pretty convincing, but I had to hear it directly from Alana to confirm it. She was a horrible liar, so it should be easy to figure out what really happened. I looked at the clock as I got up and started teaching my class. Only 40 minutes to go. Then I could talk to Alana. Come on Chris, you can do this. You have to do this.

***

As soon as the bell rang I was out of my seat faster than any of my students. They gave me a weird look, but I ignored it, darting out the door without even waiting for them to exit before me. I turned the corner and walked in the direction of Alana's locker, but I was stopped halfway there by a large group of kids crowding around two guys that had began fist fighting. I growled in anger. Dammit, I knew I should've taken the other way. I would've gotten there much faster. I cussed under my breath and pushed aside crowds of kids, attempting to make my way down the hall. Eventually I was out of the claustrophobic herd of students, and I jogged towards Alana's locker, knowing she was probably already there. I stopped halfway there, catching my breath as I turned the corner. I froze at what I saw and ducked back behind the corner, peeking around to witness the scene I had stumbled across. Alana was talking to Blake, and they were both by her locker. He laughed at something she said, and then I saw him lean in and mumble something to her. She blushed but he just smiled widely, and my heart literally stopped as she reached up and took his face between her hands. His hands rested on her waist and I growled under my breath, but before I could do much else she was standing on her tiptoes and pressing her lips to his. I saw him close his eyes as he pushed her gently against her locker and continued to kiss her. My heart plummeted into my stomach and I felt like I had been punched in the gut. The wind whooshed out of my lungs and I clutched the wall for support as I saw her tangle her fingers in his hair. My mouth dropped open. I hadn't wanted to believe that she had voluntarily got herself into this deal with Blake, but now I had no choice but to believe it. She didn't look disgusted or repulsed by his touch like she had yesterday. She was the one who had kissed him! I couldn't believe it! I felt a warm feeling on my cheeks and realized with a jolt that there were tears on my face. I blinked them away and turned around, walking numbly back in the direction of my classroom. I couldn't believe it. My life was over.