Eighteen: King of Oceana

After calling Mellisa, Joseph started pacing the room.

A while ago, a well-built man knocked on the the door. He didn't opened it for security reason, but the man started banging the door. It startled him.

Meria is still unconscious and they haven't found the one who poisoned her. There's no way he's letting a gruff looking stranger barge into the room. He might be the one they're looking for.

He immediately called for security and he was relieved when they arrived sooner before the stranger could break the door.

The man sure have strength, he thought. Yet the awe was instantly replaced by scare. He must be adamant to pursue his purpose and if that is taking Meria, he'll have to first face Joseph.

All of the sudden the noise and commotions stoped. Joseph came to a halt and face the door, wondering what's happening behind the wall that devides him and Meria from the people outside.

***

Mellisa and Cora run back to the hospital as fast as they could, nudging several walking people on the way.

When they reached the hall where Meria's room is, three men are trying to drag a man twice their size away from the door. It's almost comical to watch them.

They started walking to their direction. When the man's eyes met hers, he stopped fighting the three other men.

Cora immediately bowed down.

"Mellisa..." the man said

"Poseidon..." Mellisa said recognizing the face of the man she fell in love with. He's the same tall, powerful-looking, intimidating man as ever.

She was amused by the fact that he didn't knocked down the three men gripping him when he's fully capable of doing so without breaking a sweat.

He is Poseidon. The king of the Oceana is standing barefoot in the corridor of the hospital with three men trying to pull him, yet he remained motionless.

"Please release him." she asked the security officers.

The officers looked at each other. "But this man has been reported to be intruding." one of them said

Mellisa nodded. She walked to the door and knock.

"Joseph, this is Mellisa." she said and Joseph opened the door. He slipped out of the room and his eyes immediately trailed to the man who was just seconds away from breaking the door.

He looks at the man and the security officers confusingly, wondering why the man is still there.

"Look, I'm sorry for his rude appearance, but right now you need to instruct the security to let go of him." she said "please"

Joseph looked at Mellisa. "That dude has been trying to break down the door. How can you be sure that he's not gonna harm Meria?" he said questioningly to Mellisa with a slight raise of his voice.

"Watch your tone kid" Poseidon warns him. He then again turns to the man.

"Who are you?"

Before anyone could answer the question, a group of doctors where running towards them, entering Meria's room. One of them is Yula.

When she saw Poseidon, she instantly bowed her head.

"What's happening?" Mellisa asked in a hurry

"Her heartbeat is slowing down." Yula answered

They know she's talking about Meria.

With eyes wide open she was about to rush into the room when Yula stopped her.

"Please stay here. We'll do our best." she said looking to everyone who cares about the girl who's barely breathing inside the room before running inside with the doctors.

But Poseidon on the other hand couldn't stay put. He went inside before anyone can stop him.

Mellisa and Cora didn't move to run after him. They looked at each other as if they know what each other is thinking. No one can stop the king.

"Why isn't anyone stopping him?" Joseph asked. Annoyed this time.

"We can't." Cora said

"What do you mean 'we can't' ?"

"No one can stop the king, especially when it comes to his children." Cora looked at his confused expression. "He's Poseidon, Joseph. The king of Oceana and also Meria's father."

His confused expression turned into surprise. He can't even say a word. He look at Mellisa as if he's asking her for confirmation.

Mellisa nodded.

"Oh fuck." he muttered in disbelief.

***

The doctors was surprised by the entrance of Poseidon. Yula was able to tell them to continue with him inside anyway.

Poseidon stood there looking at his daughter's face. Her silver hair is spread through the pillow, her face pale and her heart beat slow.

All of a sudden the machine that supports Meria started beeping, showing her slower heart beat until the line flattens.

The doctors started using defibrillator on her. Her body rise and drop with every shock.

He watched his daughter's body being electified until he can't stay still anymore.

He went near Meria's bed. The doctors tried to stop him when he started taking off the hoses and other apparatuses from Meria. He picked him up and carry her out of the room. The doctors started shouting in panic for his actions. That moment, Yula can't defend his actions anymore, that was wrong.

"Poseidon!" Mellisa shouted, running after him.

"Where are you taking her?"

"She doesn't belong here, Mellisa. She can't live here. You know that. Look at her, my daughter doesn't deserve this." he said continuing his pace. "I'm taking her back to where she belongs."

"She's my daughter too, Poseidon." she countered. "Please take her back to the doctors. She may die right now."

Poseidon stoped and look at Meria. She's breathing again.

"Doctors are for humans." Poseidon said. "Mermaids doesn't need them."

"Look, it may not have been good between us, but Meria is also my daughter. That makes her a human too."

"Humans are born with legs, Mellisa. Not with tails." he looked at her.

Mellisa looked at him dead in the eyes. With grit she said, "Legs doesn't define a human, so does tails for mermaids. You have a pair of legs when we slept together, Poseidon so don't tell me that bullshit about humans and mermaids because you yourself broke the law a long time ago."