Eight: Paparazzi

Susan Mabini
Quiapo, Manila Philippines

Joseph stared at the piece of paper that Meria handed him asking if he knows how to get to the place. His forehead creased before he look back at Meria that is waiting for his answer.

"Philippines is more or less than fifteen hours flight from here." he said which made Meria look at him with confusion. "I mean, yes. I know the place. This is a country in Asia. If you want to go there, you need to take a plane."

Meria's face brighten at his answer. "Can you help me get there?"

He look at her with disbelief before looking back at Mellisa that he already met before in one of his mother's parties. He can't believe the fact that the woman has a mermaid daughter but he set it aside for now.

"She's the only person we know that can give us the answers." Mellisa said to Joseph. "I want to go with her but I can't, I need to stay behind and gather informations about the other witches."

When Meria exited the room with the white door, she's accompanied by Mellisa that introduced herself as her mother. Mellisa is truly grateful for Joseph's help. She recognize him as one of the youngest billionaire bachelors in the country. She can't believe the big coincidence that brought them together. She smiled to herself thinking that it must be faith. She wasn't even surprised that Joseph knows about Meria's identity.

When it's time for them to go, Mellisa handed them a silver band charmed ring that will keep them safe from any harm while traveling. They both wore it and it fits perfectly on their fingers.

"I wish you both good luck." Mellisa said before hugging them goodbye.

The moment they step out of the store, a sea of paparazzi run to them. When he realize that they're trying to get to him, he immediately pulled Meria close to him and cover her as much us possible. Panic and terror is clear in her expression. Paparazzi started to take pictures and camera started fashing, startling Meria in his arms. She hold him tighter, wrapping her arms around his waist and burying her face to his chest.

"Keep your face covered." He instructed that she followed.

Questions are thrown towards them. He don't even understand why are they here.

Good thing, Mellisa's guards are there to escort them but before they can enter the car, the final question reached his ears.

"Mr. Huntington, is it true that your engaged? Is it her?"

***

It's been fifteen minutes since they left the the Valley of Pearls and the sea of paparazzi that seems to be possessed by some kind of demon.

Meria's arms are still wrapped around him--not that he's complaining, knowing the scare she just went through when the paparazzi doesn't seem to care if they cause serious damage. The paparazzi and the reporters are driving him crazy.

The last question he heard echoed in his mind. He doesn't know if he should feel delighted about the idea that he's engaged to the woman that is in his arms right now or be annoyed by the crazy assumptions which drove the paparazzi crazy and that seems to traumatize her.

After a while, he felt her breathing steady. He smiled knowing that she's already asleep. Stroking her hair, he pulled the piece of paper in his pocket using his free hand and look at it.

After the commotion that happened, something tells him that it isn't the last time that something like that will occur. Maybe going out of America is just timely.

Taking his phone out, he sent a message to his private pilot, his secretary and his mother.

After contemplating on what to do and how to make things work, he finally sighed and look down at the sleeping silver haired beauty in his arms.