39 | counting stars

"Young, but I'm not that bold
And I don't think the world is sold
I'm just doing what we're told
I, feel something so right
Doing the wrong thing
I, feel something so wrong
But doing the right thing."

---

39 | counting stars

- Olivia -

"Fine... I'll tell you..." He whispered.

I nodded my head in encouragement. "Good boy." I said, as I urged him to speak but before he could say anything, the teacher interfered.

"I suppose the world history is more important that your conversation, Ms. Hart." His voice pierced through the class' silence, effectively shutting me up.

No it's not. I thought. Wishing I was brave enough to say it out loud.

I heard Ryder sigh in relief beside me and I glared at him.

Tearing a piece of paper from the corner of my notebook, I quickly scribbled a note for Ryder.

Don't you dare think you're off the hook, Ryder. You're still telling me her name. I promise not to harm her, but I need to talk to her. I can't see you like this. Stop. Protecting. Her.

Ryder read the note with pursed lips and mumbled, "It's my job to protect her."

"And it's my job to protect you." I replied, making his head snap towards me.

I gave him a meaningful glance before I continued to pretend like I was concentrating in class.

I could feel the weight of Ryder's gaze on me throughout the class. Everytime I turned to look at him, he'd look away.

The school bell rang, marking the end  of this class and I began to collect my stuff when Ryder's sullen voice stopped me on my tracks.

"Her name's Cindy. Cindy Peige. She joined the school last year, under the alpha's permission to live as a lone wolf. She wasn't exiled from her pack, so she isn't a rogue. But she ran away to become a lone wolf. She's currently pack-less and that makes her a part of a very dangerous situation. Please don't do anything that puts either of you in danger, Livy. I trust you on this..."

With a parting glance at me, Ryder exited the class and I am pretty sure he was going to skip the rest of it.

But what about me?

I just stood there with a gaping face and widened eyes. As the information sanj in, a horrified expression took over my face and chill of disgust and anguish ran down my spine as I realized that Ryder's mate was the very female who had tried to ruin my relationship with Chance.

My hands fisted tightly and my mouth curled into a sneer as I stormed out of the class to search for the she-devil herself.

I was going to find her. I was going to discuss certain matters with her. And I didn't have pure intentions.

<><><>

Trust me when I say that I am not one of those people who don't see flaws in their mates. I am not fully blaming Cindy for the rocky start of our relationship because she probably didn't even know back then that Chance had a mate.

But I certainly do blame her for planting the idea that I cheated in Chance's head.

Not to mention the fact that she specifically targeted Ryder for this. Andrew, too, had come to the pack house to meet me that day. But she didn't report about him. She chose to make Ryder the centre of controversy and display that I was cheating on Chance with him.