Chapter 8

I swear my hearts stops. I stare at the men, panicking. How can they know about Mary...?

Quickly, I shake my head. "No sir, I haven't heard of her," I say, and laugh, unfortunately though my laugh comes out nervously, so I start coughing in an attempt to cover it up.

"Anything the matter Miss?" the first man asks.

I stop coughing, and shake my head, "N-no sir." I stutter and my body shakes. The butterflies in my stomach have returned. "And I assure you, who ever she may be, she's not here." I then say more clearly. Can't let them get to Mary...she's my first real friend. I think and close my eyes tightly.

"Sure there is, we got a call telling us that there is a ghost in this house." The man behind the first says.

I look back up at him and start laughing again, making it sound more as if I don't believe him. "A ghost, seriously? You sir are being ridiculous with the fact that ghosts don't exist." I say and bite my lip. "So just leave, there is no ghost here and there never will be." God I'm a horrible liar.

"Sure they exist; we've been tracking this one for years. If you don't know what we're talking about then surely someone else living here called us. Do you have any younger siblings we may speak to?"

I laugh again, ignoring their question. "There is no ghost here!" I say. "This house is ghost free, so no problem here!" My nervous laughing continues.

"We are coming in." the man says and pushes me out of the way. I stumble onto the floor. "Watch it!" I yell. "And you can't search my house without a permit!"

"Got one right here, Missy," the last man says.

I stand up run over to the couch where Mary is. She's now separated from Trevor, as he's now eating food on the kitchen counter, as if nothing ever happened.

"Mary, go. These guys are coming for you, go hide in my room." I say in a low whisper, "Quickly."

Mary looks at me, terrified. Before anything else is said, she rushes out of the area and goes up the stairs.

Three of the men spot her, and begin to chase after her.

I have to stop them! "What do you think you are doing? My room is there, you do not have permission to go up there!" I yell at the men.

"I saw the ghost go up there, I swear it was her." One of the men says and tries to force his way up.

I stop him again. "That was no ghost! That is my sister Mary." I say. Why did I just say her name? They don't know it but I could have said a fake name...gosh I'm so stupid. And why did I call her my sister? I should have said friend damn it. I think and mentally slap myself.

Trevor walks up behind me. "Mary isn't your sister, she's some really pale girl you know and are friends with." He says being Mr. Obvious. "She is not your sister and she is your only friend here, you shouldn't lie to these men."

I glare at him gritting my teeth and from a fist. Damn him

The men glare at me.

"Split up." The first guy then says. "We'll cover more ground if we do. Let's just start searching for our ghost."

"Mom," I yell, "dad! Some strange people are forcing their way into our house!" I yell.

The door to my mother's room swings open with my dad at the other side. My mom comes out after him.

The guys stare at him.