Chapter 11

I throw my book bag in front of the seat and sit down, and slam the door a bit too hard.

I look over at my mom who snaps up as the car door slams. She looks at me and gives me a warm smile.

"How was school sweetie?" she asks, quietly.

I smile back at her and shrug. "It was good, no trouble," I lie. I don't think that it would be a good idea to tell her about Lisa, she'll start asking me questions that I'll be unable to answer.

My mom stares at me for a few seconds and blinks. "Where are your glasses?"

Oh crap. I begin to panic. She would wonder how they broke and start questioning me from there. "Um," I start, trying to find my words. I sigh and decide to tell her the truth. "They broke," I whisper.

"Again?" she asks.

I slowly nod, "Yeah, sorry mom."

She sighs. "Well it's a good thing you have the backup we got last time your glasses broke, if you didn't I wouldn't be sure when I can get you a new pair."

I nod. "But yeah, I'm sorry for breaking them again."

"It's alright sweetie." She says and starts the car.

Once my mom parks the car in our drive way, I unbuckle myself and run out, throwing on my bag. I open the front door quickly and run inside, throwing my book on the couch.

First thing I do in run up stares. In all honesty, I hate wearing contacts. They make my eyes itchy and are severally annoying. But then again, that may just be one of my excuses.

I enter my room and grab my back up pair of glasses which are in the nightstand by my bead; they're just like my old ones, a dark shade of pink but they have a fresh new look to them. I take off my contacts and slide on the glasses.

I go back down stairs and run towards the back doors, passing my dad who has a twixie stuffed in his mouth. He says something, but I don't catch it. I don't want to.

I go outside and lock the doors behind me, to make sure no one follows me out.

"Mary," I call out in a hushed voice. I start walking up to the tree house. I don't see her so I climb up.

"Mary, are you up here?" I ask. I look around and she's not. "No? You're not? Oh, okay," I say and climb back down.

I land on the ground on my feet and brush off the invisible dust on my pants.

I then hear whimpering and I look at the swing set, where the noise is coming from.

"Mary?" I ask, "Is that you?"

I see a figure on the swing begin to flicker and Mary appears, in her ghost form, transparent.

She's just sitting there, on the yellow seat that's being held by the white plastic covered metal wires. Her feet are a bit crossed and she's slowly moving back and forth. I hear her sniffle. Her head is down and her hands are holding her body up, her light brown hair is covering her face.

"Mary..." I quietly ask. "Are you okay?"

She doesn't say anything back; instead she just stays in that position. I sigh and take another step forward.

"Look I don't know what happened but I think it's best to talk about it instead of moping around," I begin. "So what's—"

"Just shut up!" She yells as her voice cracks.