Chapter 5

"Come on Mary, my mom will pick us up here." I call out to Mary as the school bell rings. The rest of the day went by pretty smoothly, although that the rest of the classes we both attended were pretty awkward considering that the teachers didn't have much of a previous notice she was coming, and the fact that she only showed up for half the day confused them anymore. But other than that, they left it alone.

Once Mary catches up, I continue, "Now remember, if my mom asks any questions about yourself just tell her that you're new and you moved here from England. Just modernize your actual back story into a believable story, and make sure you don't do anything weird, whether its ghost weird or not. My mom is picky with other people and I don't want you to leave a bad impression. Do the same with my brother, because he might ask questions as well."

Mary nods. "Okay, not a problem." She says, looking a bit uncomfortable and nervous as we wait.

After about three more minutes of waiting, my mom drives up.

I open the back door. "Trevor, sit in the front. I have a friend with me," I say.

Trevor looks over my shoulder. "She looks weird," he says, and I move out of the way.

"Watch what you say around other people," I hear my mother say. "Now you apologize to her right now."

"I'm sorry," Trevor says, walking out of the car.

"Oh no, it's alright," Mary says and lets out a light laugh.

"Oh mom, I'm sorry for not telling you in advance, but this is Mary. We're in the same classes so we're going to work on homework together." I explain as I climb into the seat behind her. Mary sits down next to me.

"Hello, it's nice to meet you, thank you for having me, and I apologize for my sudden disturbance," she politely says.

"Oh don't worry about it," my mom says looking over. "It's nice to know Sharon's finally made some friends."

I blush and she starts driving.

"So, how was school?" My mom then asks.

I shrug. "It was okay, nothing new." I say looking out the window as we pass the school.

"Well that's good." She then pauses, "Mary, make sure you take care of my daughter, she can be quite a hassle sometimes," she says and laughs.

"Mom!" I yell, embarrassed, and I hear Trevor laugh, "Shut up."

After that, the rest of the car ride is quiet, and no one speaks. Once we pull up in the driveway, Mary and I get out of the car. I grab my bad and have her hold my P.E bag.

Once we get inside, I grab an apple from the counter. "Mary, do you want anything?"

She shakes her head. "No thank you."

"Alrighty then," I say and bite into in.

When Trevor walks into the house, he stops.

"Something wrong?" I ask. He ignores my question, so I follow him gaze.

"Sharon, it looks like your brother is staring at me," Mary says, and nervously laughs.

"Trevor, stop that," I say and hit his head. "You need to be nicer to our guests."

He then looks at me. "I'm sorry," he says. "But there's something about her that I can't put my finger to, I feel like I've seen her before." He says.

Mary nervously laughs again. "That can't be right, I just recently moved here from England," she says.

"But you don't have an accent."