Chapter 14

Immediately, I take a step back, then another, and another. My eyes keep a lock on him, but they're focused out, and my hands are slightly lifted in front of me.

"What," I manage to stutter out. I don't know what to say. I can't remember what he asked. What just happened?

He repeats his question.

"Will you go to the school dance with me?" Josh says, once again, looking down at me, his hand on the form of a fist, covering half of his blushed face.

I believe this is the first time I notice how much taller he is than me. Yes I've always known that he was taller, but I've never really took note of it until now. He towers over me, and even if he is standing at somewhat of a distance, I still have to look up to see his face, but only slightly.

What do I say? What do I do? Did he just ask me out? What is this feeling? I'm feeling dizzy. All this thoughts roam through my head. I can feel my mouth moving, but no words are coming out, and even if they are, I don't notice.

He's blushing, and his eyes are averting, looking at me, looking away, and then at me again. I have to give him an answer. I can't just stand here, like an idiot. But I don't know what to say. Do I say yes? Or do I say no? Either way, I just want to leave. I really don't know what to do. Do I like him? I think I do. But oh god I don't know.

"Yes," I finally say, without thinking. My entire head turns away, avoiding all eye contact. I feel my face burning, and I'm trying to force down the smile that's appearing on my face from embarrassment. My hands feel sweaty, and my stomach is churning. I hate this feeling.

I still don't know what I'm feeling. Shouldn't I be happy? I don't know.

He sighs with relief and that's when I turn back at him. "I'm glad," he says, and starts laughing.

Why is he laughing? What just happened? Did I do something weird? My face burns again. "H-hey," I slightly yell, startled. "Don't laugh!"

He smiles. "Sorry, I'm just relieved with your answer." He takes a step towards me. He opens his mouth, and I wait for him so continue talking. I want to hear his voice. It calms me down; I want him to keep talking.

But his words don't come, he doesn't say anything else. Instead, he's cut off with his phone ringing.

"Oh, hold on, I've got to take this." He says and turns around. He picks up the phone and starts talking.

Thankfully, I don't pay attention to what he says. I'm lost in my own world. My hands find themselves playing with my hair, twirling the tips that hand over my shoulder. I don't think about anything, I just look up, probably with a blush.

"I have to go," he says, bringing my back to my reality.

"Oh," I trail off. What was he going to say? I've got to know.

"I'll see you later," he finishes and starts to walk off.

When's later? At school? But it's only Saturday! By then we'd both forget that he was going to say something.

"Wait!" I say, a little too loudly. Crap, now what do I say?

He stops and partly turns around, his longish, wavy, dirty blond hair covering one of his brown eyes, "Hm?"

"I uh," I cough. "What were you going to say? Before the phone rang, that is?" I ask him, feeling extremely flustered.

Instantly, his face turns red, and he turns away. "It was nothing. Nothing at all." He says, his voice shaking.