Chapter 2

"How was school today?" My mom asks when I'm in the car. It's already the third day of school, still no friends, and Lisa's been getting on my last nerve. Turns out, she's not as nice as I thought. 

Whenever we're alone, or if there's not that many people around, she'll glare at me, whisper something to her friends, laugh, or call me names. She even broke my glasses yesterday, and I had to go and buy new ones. When my mom asked how they broke, I just told her that I tripped while running laps in P.E. Honestly, I don't get it. So what if I sat in her seat twice of the first day, it was an accident. I don't understand why she has to be such a bitch about it.

"School was okay." I say quietly. I look out my window as my mom drives home. Virginia is much different from California. The people here are especially different, and so is the land.

As we pull up into the driveway at my house, I grab my things and get out of the car. My mom gives me the keys, and drives off to work. Unlocking the front door, I walk into the house and sit at the kitchen counter and work on my homework.

"Hey dork face!" Trevor says to me as he walks up to the refrigerator to grab an orange soda.

"Shut up Trevor, I'm busy." I say to him beginning to work on my geometry work. "Damn this is hard," I mumble.

"Okay." He says. "By the way, I'm going next door to my new friend Timmy's house. I asked mom earlier and she said I could go."

"Don't you have homework?"

He shakes his head. "I did it already."

"Okay, but let me go with you to drop you off." I say.

"I thought you were busy." Trevor says.

I shake my head. "You know mom doesn't like you to go off on your own. Plus, I want to get to know our neighbors. Make sure they aren't sketchy or anything. I don't think mom would appreciate it if you died while you were there."

"I guess you're right," he says. "But I don't think I would die."

"Oh really," I ask. "That's a shame; it would finally be quiet around here if you did."

"Shut up," he says.

"Sorry," I say and shake my head. "Now let's hurry up and go, I have more homework to do."

"Okay!" he says and runs out the door.

I groan, "I know I said to hurry, but please don't run!" I say and chase after him.

I grab the keys and lock the door behind me. It doesn't matter that we're just going next door, I still get pretty paranoid.

I follow Trevor to the front door and he knocks on it. The house is pretty, much like ours. It's a soft orange color, while ours is made out of brick. We live on a cul de sac, our house being on the edge.

"Hello?" Someone says opening the door.

I look up at the kid, and to my surprise, it's Josh.

"H-hi Josh," I stutter, beginning to feel nervous.

Josh looks at me and smiles. "Oh, hey Sharon, what are you doing here?"

"Oh, I live next door." I start. "And my brother Trevor said that his friend lived here so." I finish, trailing of.

"Oh, okay." Josh says. He then looks inside and calls out for his brother. "Timmy! Trevor's here!" He calls out for his brother. He then looks back at my brother. "You can come in if you'd like," he says.

Trevor nods, "Thank you," he says and walks into the house.

Thank god he's remembered his manners. I think and smile. "By Trevor, try to be home by dinner!"