Chapter 7

I freeze. Frozen in my tracks, I can't move. I'm not able to.

I'm pretty sure— no, I'm positive that I'm frozen in fear. My stomach drops, and so does my heart. I stare at his car, trembling. The only thing I can clearly think is how surprised I am that he got his license back.

That can't be my dad's car, please, don't let it be his car! I think to myself. But I know it's his car, and that he is here. My mom warned me that he might be coming, but why today? Why does he want to come so badly? Why?

"Sharon, Sharon, calm down, just relax." I hear Mary say behind me.

Why is she telling me to calm down? I am calm. There's nothing wrong, I- oh. I feel tears on my cheeks, and my hands are pressed on my face. I'm crying. That's why Mary told me to calm down.

"Are you okay?" she asks, placing her hands on my shoulders. "You need to take deep breathes and you need calm do-"

Without thinking, I cut her off. "How can I calm down?" I turn her, screaming. "How can I calm down? That is my dad's car! That's his car, how can I calm down when I know he is in my house? He's going to harm us, he's going to hit my mother, no, oh god please no," I say feeling frantic and scared. I don't know what to do, so my breaths become faster and the tears on my cheek roll down faster. How can Mary expect me to be calm at this? How can she? How do I calm down? Oh god, what on earth do I do?

"Oh Sharon," Mary starts, "It's going to be okay, at least you have a dad. My dad is dead." Mary says trying to calm me, but I can hear the discomfort as she said that last part.

"That doesn't help." I croak out. "Plus, he isn't my father anymore. My parents are divorced. Sure, he's the man that helped my mom give birth to me, but it doesn't make him my father! He's a monster!"

"Actually it kind of does," Mary says pointing out the obvious. "If your mom gets married again, that man will become your step-father, but your real dad is still your fath—"

I cut Mary off and sigh. "I know that stuff, I'm not stupid." I shake my head with disbelief and sigh once more. "Anyway, let's just go in. Not like we can hide out here forever." I say knowing that sooner or later I'm going to have to enter my house and avoid my dad.

I slowly walk towards the door and open it. It's unlocked, that's strange. I think to myself and walk in, Mary right behind me. "Mom...Trevor...?" I call out quietly. The lights are off so I switch them back on and walk inside. "Mary, lock the door, will you?"

Mary nods and shuts the door, then locks it. "What's going on?" she asks me.

I shrug. "I have no idea. I just hope mom and Trevor are okay." I say and walk over to the kitchen counter and put my bag on the chair.

"Hey Sharon, Trevor is sitting on the couch with a scared expression on his face..." Mary whispers slowly as she walks over to me.

I look over at the couch to see Trevor sitting still. He's not moving. "Trevor, what the— are you okay?" I ask and run up to him.

I place my hands on his shoulder and he shudders, but he doesn't speak. He just looks at me, his mouth hanging a tad bit open. His eyes look scared.

"Trevor, answer me!" I yell and grab a pillow. He still doesn't say anything and turns back to the T.V.

"The T.V isn't even on." Mary says and sits down next to him. "Come and tell us what happened, everything is going to be alright."

Trevor looks at her and scoots away. He sits closer to me. At least he can still move the rest of his body and not just his head. I think to myself. "Trevor, what happened?" I ask again, but still no reply. "Trevor, what happened?" I frantically ask again this time. "Oh come on, speak to me Trevor, speak to me!" I yell at him once more. He still doesn't reply so I hit him with the pillow I'm holding.