Chapter 31:

Chapter 31: 

Dylan felt his resolve crumbling down around him like a castle blown to smithereens. He stood, motionless in total disbelief at the nurses and doctors rushing around trying to revive Amanda's now lifeless body. A stray nurse came to him and told him he needed to leave immediately. 

He stood still. 

She told him again, the he needed to leave the room. 

Again, he didn't move. 

"Kid, you gotta leave or we can't help your friend here! You want that don't you?" He blinked. "I know you do, now go." 

He walked out of the room, and sat outside the door, listening intently. He didn't hear much, but the sound of voices, blended together into a blur of sound. His ears rang as he placed his face in his hands, burying it completely. 

"Dylan, get over yourself hun." His face shot up, meeting eyes with his mother. "Stop having a pity party and get over it. She wont get better with you moping around here." He rolled his eyes.

"Mom she flatlined! What do you expect me to do?!" Pam gasped slightly, but covered it up well, so well that Dylan almost didn't hear it.

"Dyl, I know this is hard for you, it's hard for everyone else too. Imagine how her father feels, his wife murdered and his daughter in the hospital because of that man. Think about his feelings. But did you see him shed one tear?" Dylan thought for a moment. "She needs you to be strong for her, all of us."

Pam got up and walked away, leaving Dylan to his thoughts and emotions. After about an hour, Doctor Conroy stepped in front of Dylan's view, though he was only staring into nothingness. 

"You can call everyone else. She's awake." That was all he said before he walked away. Dylan dialed the numbers quickly, his fingers mistyping due to the shakiness in his hands. They all arrived within ten minutes, excited and hopeful. 

Before Dylan could go in, Clarissa pulled him to the side, needing to speak to him while everyone else crammed into the small room. 

"Dylan." She seemed disoriented, more so than he'd ever seen her before, as she placed a light hand on his massive shoulder. He tilted his head to the side. "I just...want to thank you." 

"Thank me? What is there to thank me for?" She smiled fondly. 

"Thank you for always protecting Amanda." She closed her eyes for a moment. "For always being there for her and...loving her. I know we both just met her a little over a year ago, but really, that's the best thing I, as her best friend, can ask of you. So thanks." 

Dylan took all this in before replying. 

"You know why, after ninth grade, I stopped going out with girls? Other than the thing with my dad?" Clarissa shook her head, intrigued. "I didn't understand it at the time, but being with her now...they just weren't like she is." He smiled at the thought of her. "She's just so different. She's so beautiful and she doesn't even know it." 

"Yeah she really is. I don't know what I would've done if she hadn't made it through." 

"You're a great friend to her Clarissa. And after this, no more emotional crap okay?" She laughed and nodded. 

"Definitely." They linked arms and walked through the awaiting doors, ready to see Amanda's smiling face. 

**

"Amanda. Amanda....Amanda!" Amanda looked around like a lost puppy, befuddlement playing across her features as the doctor called her name. As Dylan and Clarissa spoke outside the room, Dr. Conroy furrowed his brows and tapped his chin, deep in thought. He pulled out his clipboard and scribbled something onto it.