Chapter 1:

This story: "A Gang of Purple Hearts" and its content is copyright of Simone Rose - © 2012. All rights reserved. Any No part of this document may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, without prior written permission of Simone Rose (PocketNerd15).

**

Chapter 1:

Beeeeeeeeep...

The sound of my mother's life slipping away reverberated through the hospital walls, ringing in my ears as the doctors rushed me out of the small, white room. I stumbled into the hallway, gripping my sides as surgeons rushed past me to my mothers room. January 27th was the last day I saw my mother, and every night I had nightmares.

I shut off my alarm, slowly sliding out of bed. I ambled over to my closet, pulled out a cashmere sweater and my moms old boot cut jeans and donned them quickly. It was now October, nine months since my mothers murder.

We left the warm, humid state of Georgia, and moved west all the way to California because of her death. I trudged into the cool bathroom, clicking on the heat as I passed by. While throwing my hair into a high ponytail, I stopped short, examining the small slits along my inner left arm.

I dropped my hand to it, running my long, sleek fingers over the surface of the very first one. I shuddered, pulling my black sleeve further down until it met the middle of my palm. I continued pulling my hair back up hastily, and went downstairs to put on my black Ugg boots.

My father was sitting at the small kitchen table, the humble, dim light shining on the top of his head as he observed the newspaper over a bowl of Raisin Bran. When I walked into the kitchen, his head snapped up.

"Morning honey"

"Hey dad...why are you up so early? I thought work started at nine?" I reached into the freezer and retrieved some frozen waffles.

"Yes but I'm going to drive you to school. Its your first day, I know it has to be nerve racking..." I rolled my eyes at him. What he really wanted wanted to say was "I'm still worried about you hurting yourself" even though I haven't done anything in over three months.

"Dad, I'm seventeen, I can drive myself."

"I know, Amanda, but still-"

I cut him off, a bit irritated "Dad! I'm fine, I haven't done anything stupid in almost four months. I understand you're worrried, but I'm starting over now."

He nodded reluctantly, then turned back to his paper "Alright..."

I went over and hugged his shoulders. "I love you dad. I'll see you later!" I called to him, as I ran to the key rack and grabbed my keys. Time for a new beginning....

**

I turned into the schools student parking lot, my heart rate increasing with every inch my red Voltswagen Beetle swallowed. Usually I didn't care what people thought of me, but I couldn't risk being singled out and tortured like I was at my previous school.

The thought sent a chill down my spine, and I quickly shoved it aside. I parked nearest to the office, so I could find all my classes before school began. I walked into the office, my backpack drawn tightly to my back.

"Good morning!" A sweet voice called from behind. I whipped around, facing the elderly woman who sat in front of me. She wasn't very old - around her fifties or sixties - and her face held a calm expression, but her crystal blue eyes danced in excitement.

Her short brown hair was pulled into a neat chignon, with an emerald clip that matched her silky green blouse. "You must be Amanda, I'm Mrs. Curtright, your counselor." She held out her hand.

"Good morning. I was wondering if I could get my schedule so I can get a gist of where my classes are?" I asked as politely as possible, returning her hand shake.

"Of course, sweetheart! Let me go print one out for you. You can wait over there..." She gestured at the group of dark blue chairs neatly aligned against the pale beige wall. I sat, and thought about her term of endearment. 'Sweetheart'. Hopefully everyone was as cordial as she was.

----------

A/N: So yeah. The first chapter. I don't know if anyone is going to read it soooo I guess we'll see. Vote Comment? God Bless<3

Simone:)