Chapter 7: A Moment of Dark Awakening

Leo stared angrily at his opponent, Joseph Sandoz, a "Lion Knight" of the Imperial Kingdom. He didn't know or understood what that meant. He only knew his opponent was skilled in combat wielding an 8 ft blade with unnatural ease. Leo was starting to reach his limit though. He was tired, his face covered in sweat, his muscles aching. They had been dueling for what seemed like an eternity.

Joseph lifted his blade up to his left shoulder, in rebuttal Leo made for a stance with his swords facing each other side by side. The wind kicked up the dirt and the dust beneath them, and a small crowd of people watched from afar, afraid to get close to the combatants or excited to see the outcome. As if a silent signal went off, Leo and Joseph rushed at each other! Their blades collided, causing sparks to ignite from the force and speed of the blades hitting each other! They both swung their weapons each blow being parried or blocked.

Joseph swung his blade downwards, then vertically and Leo jumped to the right dodging the blade and landing a roundhouse kick to Joseph's face! He stumbled back and Leo saw his opening. He ran at Joseph and swung his katana horizontally. But Joseph recovered at the last second and ducked. He quickly did a backwards spin and swung his sword downward! Leo blocked the blade with both of his weapons and they were locked together face to face.

Joseph: "*Huff* *Huff* You know there's no way you're going to beat me kid!"

Leo: "*Huff* *Huff* What you mean kid?! You're not that much older than me!"

They pushed each other away and Leo started to attack Joseph with a flurry of quick attacks! Joseph blocked every blow, repelling the assault and once again locking swords together.

Joseph: "You're pretty good. Whoever taught you must have been a great swordsman."

Leo: "Actually I taught myself! I'm the best swordsman back home!" He gave Joseph a cocky smile, but Leo knew he had to do something quick or else he was going to die!

Joseph, noticing Leo’s lack of focus, quickly kicked him in the ribs, knocking him down on his back! Leo quickly sat up and raised his katana as Joseph swung down to deliver the final blow! As he blocked the attack, Joseph's power from the blow slid down Leo’s blade causing his hand to lose control knocking the katana out of his hand! Leo quickly rolled backwards onto his feet and raised his broadsword to Joseph. They charged at each other again colliding swords! It seemed like another stalemate as neither could gain the advantage in the duel. Leo swung his broadsword horizontally, but Joseph ducked under it and turned his huge blade sideways, using the broad side of his blade, he elbowed Leo causing him to drop his sword and send him flying backwards!

Leo landed on the floor bouncing as he went, ending up on his back. He coughed trying to regain the air that had just been knocked out of him. He quickly looked up to see Joseph running towards him, dragging his blade on the ground! Joseph gained momentum closing the gap between them and Leo did a hand spring to get back on his feet, as soon as he did, Joseph swung his blade upwards missing Leo's back by centimeters! Leo spun around to face his opponent and Joseph immediately formed a relentless assault! He could dodge and avoid every swing by Joseph, but he was starting to go faster and Leo could no longer keep up! Joseph finally cut Leo across his chest leaving a huge gash!

He dropped to his knees feeling the blood pouring out of his wound. He looked up at Joseph and realized this is where the fight ended.

Leo: "So are you 100% sure about killing me? What if I’m actually innocent?"

Joseph: "No one is completely innocent, and if you are then you have my regards, just know that your death will help bring some peace to the Imperial Kingdom."