Tales of Harmonin

• Dedicated to Papi

Tales of Harmonin

By: Leo Hevia and Hector Santiago

Illustrated by: John Tanco-Rahim

Prologue

Eons ago, God created the ever expanding universe from an empty dark void. As the bright stars began to fill the heavens, shining magnificently through the abyss, life began to take its shape. In order to develop the young life forms that began to appear, God sprung life into his children, Minor Gods. His children assisted in supervision of the young universe, making sure that life thrived wherever possible; sometimes intervening in the events of history to ensure the survival of the planets and its inhabitants. One of these gods was the Gate Keeper. His job was to ferry the dead to the fiery shores of Hell or the magnificent gates of Heaven. Eventually, as the eons went by, the Gate Keeper grew tired of his tasks and began to secretly hate the other gods. In his hatred, the Gate Keeper began to conspire against them. He devised a grand scheme in which he gathered lost souls, who were afraid to face their unknown judgment to join his army; A horde of endless demons, trolls, ogres, and fallen angels.

The Gate Keeper’s malicious horde swept throughout the universe, like locust, bringing armageddon with them. All seemed to fade away into the abyss as the lights in the night sky faded one by one. The dreams of hope and peace within the people, lost to the powers of fear and despair until one planet stood up. Their advanced technology allowed them to fly into the dark void of space and build weapons able to launch pure energy, powerful enough to take down the small fleet that invaded their planet. The name of this planet, found its way to the ears of the Gate Keeper, and as if a whisper had become a furious gust of wind, the name Volupta, would soon become the shining symbol the universe needed. Volupta stood strong in their small victories as they routed their assailants over and over, fighting with guerilla tactics, capturing ships in their victories and growing in strength and experience. The Gate Keeper had no choice but to back away, for now, but like a hungry pack of ravenous wolves, they would be back with larger numbers and ships far more powerful than the ones they had destroyed and captured....

Cataclysm

The noon breeze sweeps through the eden fields of Volupta. The tranquility and warmth of the luminous afternoon rays of the sun radiate the small city. The townsfolk, simple but fair merchants and farmers, tend to their work, tooling in the gleam of a peaceful day. The guards, tend to their posts, yawning among the sounds of bellowing cattle, and other farm animals. A lone guard watches the far wall alone as his belly rumbles with hunger. He watches the soft skies along with the reticent horizon. The overhead sun shines off of his glistening armor, covering his body head to toe. The sound of faint foot steps on the wall surprise him and he turns around reaching for his sword. He pauses for a brief moment, only to see that it is his wife who approaches him. He smiles at her beaming beauty and embraces her in his arms. They share a moment in what seems like an era of prosperity.

Yet nothing seems right. The lone soldier looks to green fields seeing the song birds begin to fly away. An eerie silence pervades the farm animals, the sounds of a low rumble echoes through the anxious breeze. Out of the oblivion two sleek fighters fly through the clouds above them. Volupta’s skies screech with the sound of the air shredding against a hail of missile and gun fire. The light begins to fade as the leviathan sized starships ascend from the clouds and blot out the sun. The air boils as the sizzle of the energy cannons rain death upon the defenseless people on the ground. Without a moments notice the city’s walls erupts in a violent explosion. The lone soldier and his wife are thrown into the spongy long grass below. Chunks of the stone walls fall around them and all goes dark.