one.

Red was the first thing thought about when I slipped the dress on. The kind of red that demanded all the attention it could get from others while also covering my body with ease. A bold yet modest red added some mystery to my dark features. Whoever my husband may be, he will absolutely love peeling it off. Will tonight be more stressful than the time leading up? I smoothed my hands on the fabric, admiring myself in the mirror. The dress was a strapless sweetheart neckline, that hugged my breasts and pushed them up, giving cleavage along with it. It was skintight, creating an hourglass figure on my body. Did I really have a an hour glass or was it just the dress? Doubts ran through my head, something not new to my world.

Nervously picking at the cuticles of my fingers, readjusting the dress, there wasn't another thing i could possibly do to please anyone but myself. He would noticed how I looked, every detail. The embroidery on the dress was stunning and for a moment I was glad my father had picked up this dress, rather then the navy blue one I had secretly hope for. It wasn't about me today, it was about the one's eyes that were laid on me. For a moment I let my fingers trace the vines and paths of the pattern, wondering if my path to finding my husband would be similar. This was the day; I had to look perfect, I had to be perfect. Because he would be perfect.

[]

"Virginia!" My father called, grasping my attention from the mirror. The one man I've lived my whole life to please, the one who always held me accountable.

"Yes sir?" I replied, heading slowly down the steps barefoot.

I walked past my brothers, Zayn and Liam, who were sitting in Male Quarters. The Male Quarters are what made up most of the house; rooms only men were allowed into, and females were only allowed in with permission.

I took note that my brothers were home and quickly grabbed a pair of silver heels, so that if they happen to see me I wouldn't be scolded for not being properly dressed.

"May I come in father?" I stood at the entrance of his office, anxious for the possible entry. I waited a second. Nothing. Not a single permission or signal. I decided to test him once again, taking a slow step into the vast room.

He sat at a darkly stained wooden desk, built specially for him. My father worked for the government, which was made up of all men. He was towards the top and had strong power over the country we lived in. The Hines' name held much power here, that is, if you were a Male. "Those aren't the shoes we agreed on Virginia." Father didn't even have to look up from his desk to know I was disobeying him.

"I'm so sorry, they are upstairs. I will change right away." I apologized, glad that I wasn't in that much trouble for wearing the wrong heels. He hadn't even made an effort to care enough to lift his head.

"We're leaving in ten minutes. You're dismissed." Not even a glance into my direction. I sighed and turned to leave the room, and my father cleared his throat. What could be bothering him so much today?

Turning back around, I smiled a fake smile, "Thank you father, I will do that immediately. May I go to my room?" He grunted in a response that I took once again as permission.

Going as quickly as I could up the steps, I ran into one of my brothers, Liam.

"Did you talk to dad yet?"

"Yeah, we're leaving in ten," I informed him. Liam was the only person I knew who didn't approve of the government's and my father's ways, so I was comfortable with him, and was able to be treated as what he called, "an equal". For him to do this for me was amazing, because these actions and words could also have him killed if anyone found out. It felt nice to be warm and safe under Liam's wing. He nodded and continued walking down the steps, concluding the conversation.

I made my way up to my room to find the right shoes. I finally found the black wedges father had picked out, and jammed my feet into them. They were three sizes too small, to make my feet look more petite. Father was obsessed with making me be the best, claiming my personality and lack of sexual experience wouldn't get me far enough with the high class Males. It was like I was becoming a lie so my Father could rid of me altogether.

I decided to head out to the car, excited for my first ever ride in the front seat, another privilege of my eighteenth year examination. My body had to look completely perfect, otherwise life as I knew it was over.

In our society, the Females revolve around the Males. Since we are born, we are taught the appropriate mannerisms, like how to speak to the other gender and follow any command given. We are also put onto diets, workouts and pills, just to tone our bodies for this day alone. The examination day is once every year, and all Females who are or will be turning eighteen within the year must go to be tested on their body, no matter the type.

They test us on the basics, Appearances, Proportions, Stripping and Pre-Reproduction Night.

Females who pass these tests are Asterisks, and they are considered high in society, beautiful and envied. Asterisks are always the first to go when the Males commence their bidding for a wife. They are also allowed the privilege to reproduce, a word unfamiliar in a Female's category. It is to be taught by the husband on the Reproduction Night and so forth.

Females who don't pass are labeled as Underscores, and are killed off so there is no chance for them to reproduce their otherwise known as "terrible traits". Underscores bring dishonor to their families who are responsible for the killing, otherwise death be punishable for all unfortunate to have that last name.

I was absolutely determined to be an Asterisk, as I was the only daughter of a highly known and so fare specter family. I have my Father to thank for that.

As for the rest of my family, I have to be thankful for having a brother like Liam. As I've gotten older and more aware of the rules, I've realized how many he has bent and broken, just to be a good "sibling" (that's what he said we would've call each other back before Father came into power). Liam says a lot of thinks are different when Father isn't in power.

I wasn't, however, so thankful for Zayn. He took literal to the rules, sometimes hurting my body with his.

One time I had dropped a glass that I was cleaning up from his room, and he had slapped me, pulling me by my hair to the floor. He yelled words I didn't know, like "bitch" and "slut", as I cleaned up the shards.

I cringed at the memory, wishing it hadn't come across my mind. Zayn and Father were talking now, having a two sided conversation about "politics", as I was told it was.

"A war will break out," Zayn argued to somethings Father had said.

"You know the government would never allow that, end of discussion." Father shot back, and silence loomed throughout the car. Father was right, because he was the government. If he said no, it was no.

I never knew why Father would do that to Zayn; he would start a conversation but he'd always have to have the last word.

Why would our country go to war? I never knew much about war, but the way people speak of it makes the whole thing sound terrible. It's prefect here, I don't know why they would jepordize that by going to war. What would become of my family?

-T